Your Ad Could Be Here

Need Advice For Live Performance Computer Gear

• Noob

I want to explore using a computer for keyboard synth in live performance. I've been playing piano for over 30 years, and using a PC for over 24 years, but never put the two together. I've only been playing a synth for a couple years. I currently use a Kurzweil 2600XS and, to tell the truth, I don't find it very user-friendly. At this point, I'm not interested in recording. I have a PC laptop and my wife has a new MacBook, that got me interested in the whole concept. I took a quick look at Garage band, but got frustrated quickly without a piano keyboard setup. It looks like Garage Band is designed for recording. I'd like any advice on how to get started. In particular, I'd like to know:

1) Can Garageband be used for live performance with a keyboard and some type of hardware?

2) Is Garage Band the best application for live music performance, or would you recommend other hardware/software combination?

3) Is there someother hardware/software that would be better? Obviously, I want good sounds and I don't want to waste money on hardware/software that I won't be happy with, but at the same time, I'd like to start exploring without a huge initial outlay.

4) A rep at the local Apple Store told me I should get a USB keyboard. Is that the same as a USB Midi keyboard? What type of keyboard should I get? Can you recommend any brands?

5) Can I get good quality sound running the output from the computer's earphone jack to my keyboard amp, or do I need some other hardware?

6) Any other advice you can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Joel

:) Hi Joel and welcome to Songstuff. Not really sure what you need here. Do you want to use the laptop as just a source of sounds? Or do you intend using it as a co performer? i.e. are you intending to record other tracks to play along to as a backing? If you want the former, to use the laptop just to generate sounds, and are thinking of buying a midi keyboard, then I'd say to buy a decent sound module to play through! Or Sell the Kurzweil 2600XS and invest in a Yamaha motif or something else that you like! You could use the Kurzweil as a midi keyboard if you wanted!

If you want to record some backing tracks to play along to, then Garage Band is fine for that!

• Noob

Probably mostly as a source of sounds, although this technology is new to me so I’m not really sure that this means. I was thinking that a computer/synth might work better for me because 1) I’m hoping that the software would be easier to use than the Kurzweil – I don’t have much free time and what time I have I like to spend making music, not reading manuals!!! I just don’t have the time or patience to figure out much of the Kurzweil’s capabilities, 2) Some of the Kurzweil’s sounds are great and some aren’t so great. I’m thinking that a computer/synth would allow me to buy the sounds I want. 3) I’m thinking that a computer/synth would allow me to upgrade as I upgrade my computer, so I’m not stuck with the hardwired technology that comes with the Kurzweil. 4) The Kurzweil is too heavy to cart back and forth between the church, where I play with a band, and my house, where I practice and entertain myself. Obviously, using the Kurzweil as a midi keyboard for a computer/synth wouldn’t solve the last problem, and selling it is not an option since it belongs to the church.

I guess my main question is, how can I start exploring whether this is a good route for me without shelling out a lot of money? Can I get decent sounds out of Garageband? What hardware do I need to do this? Since the computer is doing the sound, can I buy any old cheap keyboard to get started?

Thanks

Joel

OK. Garage band is an application for recording. So you don't need it! If you buy a software synth, all you do is plug the keyboard into the computer, open the software synth and plug the computer line out into an amp! Thats it! Choose the sound you want from the choice available in the synth and whatever you play on the mother keyboard, it will sound from the synth! As far as keyboards go, any keyboard with a midi out will do. I have an evolution midi keyboard that wieghs next to nothing!

• Noob

I guess I'm just dense. I don't know what a software synth is. Is that a type of computer program? Since I don't need Garage Band, what are some good software packages to look at? Forgive me for sounding stupid, but my computers don't have midi inputs, so how can I just plug a keyboard into my computer? Don't I need some type of hardware interface? Or do they plug into a USB port? Maybe I just need someone to tell me where to go to learn the basic concepts and terminology.

Joel

:) OK. If you intend to ditch the Kurzweil, then you'll need a midi controller keyboard. These can be purchased anywhere ranging in price from $100 up. You would connect the keyboard to the laptop via a midi - USB cable. From the laptop, you will need a jack plug from the Line Out socket (3.5mm) to your Amp. (1/4")

post-84-1201950020_thumb.jpg

Whatever software synth you choose, you will need to learn to use it like any other application! You will need to set it up to accept the midi information you send it, and where the output should be sent, i.e. the soundcard of the laptop. Ableton have a demo of a sampler you can download and try for free. This might be what you are looking for, otherwise, just Google 'Software Synth' and see what comes up! There are plenty of free applications out there, so before spending lots of cash on software, try some freebies! (Then let us know if they're any good!)

I have to say, If I were in your position, I would think about a harware Sampler as an alternative to the laptop and software approach. Have a look on eBay for pro audio equipment/samplers. See what comes up!

Hope this helps!

Steve offered up a lot of good advice here. I know precious little about midi, but from what I understand, it's main advantage would be if you wanted it to be (as Steve mentioned) a co performer, have it play one line, while you play another.

for more midi info look HERE for an article John Moxey wrote.

From the sound of it you would be happier with a good hardware synth for live stuff. Yamaha Motif would be a great choice, but not cheap.

index_photo.jpg

no need to jump, with the midi/usb cable/amp config Steve suggests, you can try some soft synths and see if they work for you. Let us know what you find or if you have more questions.