Your Ad Could Be Here

The Line You Wish You'd Written

From "You Don't Have To Cry" by Crosby, Stills & Nash

Tom

That wasn't just a page out of my life it was a chapter.

• 2 weeks later...

"all is quiet except for this song, so maybe while i'm not together I can feel like I'm not alone...."

-from "Joy" by Against Me!

There are a lot of lines I wish I would have written.

"Lend me your hand and we'll conquer them all, but lend me your heart and I'll just let you fall. Lend me your eyes I can change what you see, but your soul you must keep totally free." Mumford and Sons - Awake My Soul

"Another chance hello. Another goodbye. And so many things we'll never see again. Days in life that seemed so unimportant, they seem to matter now, and to count much later on." Genesis - Fading Lights

There are more but it's one of those situations where once I hear it I start thinking "I wish I could have written that" so nothing more comes to mind at the moment.

'I never thought it would happen with me and the girl from Clapham' (Up The Junction) and 'I've come across the desert to greet you with a smile, my camel looks so tired it's hardly worth my while' (Take Me I'm yours) Difford/Tilbrook - Squeeze

:)

Edited by JanHutchinson

• 2 weeks later...

"I'm two steps from salvation, but I'm only taking one" 'Pardon Me' - Staind

Wow! Now, that's a good one! Loving it!

Linda

Wow! Now, that's a good one! Loving it!

Linda

Yes, the whole song has many lines that make you think, but that one is the one I wish I'd written. It says so much with so few words.

• Noob

"I, I can remember

Standing, by the wall

And the guns, shot above our heads

And we kissed, as though nothing could fall

And the shame, was on the other side." - David Bowie, "Heroes".

It's strange, I don't like the song itself that much, but these lyrics just touch me every time.

• 4 weeks later...

Yknow, my python boot is too tight

I couldnt get it off last night

A week went by, an now it's july

I finally got it off

An my girl-friend cryed

Frank Zappa

I've got dozens of these. In th interests of keeping the thread readable (not to mention shorter than War and Peace) I'll present just a few:

1). "There ain't no grave, can hold my body down" - Johnny Cash, 'Ain't No Grave'.

2). "At my most beautiful, I count your eyelashes, secretly. With every one, whisper 'I love you', I let you sleep. I know you're closed-eye watching me, listening. I thought I saw a smile" - R.E.M., 'At My Most Beautiful'.

3). "I don't mind growing old, losing teeth and going bald. Not as handsome as I ever was, you love me just because." - The John Butler Trio, 'Losing You'.

4). "I went to the doctor, I was feeling kinda rough. Lemme break it to you, son, your shit's f*cked up. I said 'My shit's f*cked up? Well I don't see how'. He said 'The shit that used to work, well it don't work now'. - Warren Zevon 'My shit's f*cked up'.

5). "This place is a prison, and these people aren't your friends. Inhaling thrills through 20 dollar bills, and the tumblers are drained and then flooded again and again." - The Postal Service, 'This Place Is A Prison'.

Edited by Nellington

"I think you better call Tyrone, Tell him come on help you get your sh*t." lol great one

• 2 weeks later...

There are so many I can hardly choose! I guess 2 that I really enjoy would be:

"But with all my education, I can't seem to command it,

And the words are all escaping, and coming back all damaged,

And I would put them back in poetry, if I only knew how,

I can't seem to understand it" - from "All This And Heaven Too" by Florence + the Machine

and

"You know you'll never be lonely, no, you'll always be loved,

And maybe, you'll never need more than that.

But for the surplus that loves, what's to become of us,

Does it even register on your conscience?" - from "Half Life" by Imogen Heap

5). "This place is a prison, and these people aren't your friends. Inhaling thrills through 20 dollar bills, and the tumblers are drained and then flooded again and again." - The Postal Service, 'This Place Is A Prison'.

I love that one too, it's always been my favourite song by The Postal Service.

I heard these lines the other day. Not sure who wrote them, or even if I am quoting them correctly!

"You only have one life, so don't think twice!"

Brilliant!

The line I posted to start this thread is, I believe, my favorite ever. But, there are others I also wish I'd written.

You say it best, when you say nothing at all.

and

Old Mr. Webster could never define

what's being said between your heart and mine.

Both lines from "When You Say Nothing At All." Not sure who wrote it, but my favorite version is Allison Krauss.

Oh, and:

Tables are meant for turning

and people are bound to change

and bridges are meant for burning

when the people and memories

they join aren't the same

Jim Croce, Lover's Cross - I could cite many Jim Croce lyrics I wish I'd written.

I heard these lines the other day. Not sure who wrote them, or even if I am quoting them correctly!

"You only have one life, so don't think twice!"

Brilliant!

Correction:

"You only live once, so don't think twice" 'Life' by Exit Ten

The line I posted to start this thread is, I believe, my favorite ever. But, there are others I also wish I'd written.

You say it best, when you say nothing at all.

and

Old Mr. Webster could never define

what's being said between your heart and mine.

Both lines from "When You Say Nothing At All." Not sure who wrote it, but my favorite version is Allison Krauss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_You_Say_Nothing_at_All