Your Ad Could Be Here

A Choir Sound Effect?

• Noob

Hey all, I've been hitting a roadblock with my song that I'm very pssionate about.

I'm rebooting the theme from the Atari 2600 Centipede commercial in a whole song, and am trying to recreate the choir they have in the chorus.

The issue, as you may have guessed, is that I don't know how to recreate a choir, with notes I can change at the tempo my chorus is in. I don't have a real choir or vocal abilities so I'm curious, how can I replicate the choir in the chorus of this song?

• Noob
1 hour ago, RobAsh15 said:

Not sure it's a choir, exactly. Sounds like maybe three voices harmonizing to me, and maybe as few as two voices. Whatever the case, have you taken a look at Celemony Melodyne? It's a VST plug in that is compatible with most DAWs. It is a harmony machine. It may be all that you need to reproduce a harmony effect, and you can use it with just one voice as the model for the harmonies. You can choose harmonizing frequency adjustments above and below the target vocal performance, which is important because, to my ear, one of the harmonizing voices in the commercial is quite low in register.

After that, to my ear it sounds like a matter of picking the right reverb and applying tons of it. Considering the fact that you are doing a reboot, I consider NOT applying as much reverb as is in the commercial.

Best of luck.

I hadn't heard of that 'till now, I'll give it a go! Thanks a ton!

It sounds more like a voice with a heavy reverb on it to me. Doesn't sound like a choir. There's probably an 80's sample out there somewhere to match. 

There are a few  Mellotron vst's out there that are way cool. If you didn't know about the mellotron was made famous by the Beatles and other groups from that era. Basically it was the forerunner of the looper. You played it like an organ. When you pushed the keys it played taped recordings that were played in loops. It could play several tapes at the same time

One of the sounds in it was choir recordings. The effect would be a choir with a very trippy effect. 

I bought the one from UVI on a sale a long time ago. Don't use it much, but if you're into that kind of thing it could take you back to those days and sounds.

Here it is if you're interested to try it out.

https://www.uvi.net/mello.html

Archived