Your Ad Could Be Here

Your Big Music Plan

Hey

Do you have a big plan for you music? By that I really mean an overall, big picture plan.

I figure although there are common themes, each of us places our effort and sees benefit it different approaches to our music.

Your plan may be as simple as "write songs and play them in my bedroom for my own enjoyment", or it could be very detailed involving management, pitching at labels, marketing etc, or "get a job as a staff writer" etc.

Whatever your plans... tell all!

Cheers

John

I don't know... While I wouldn't mind having money to burn and being the toast of the hemisphere, I don't really have my sights that high. I'd love to write some more quality pieces and get them published and performed by others and maybe make some profit from them, but the thought of actually taking the leap and sending them terrifies me. I've pretty much already missed the deadline this year for the seasonal pieces I've written, so I have several months to mull it over, perhaps make some contacts, and add to the repertoire.

Hey - look at that - they used to pop up, before -didn't they, John? ... anyway - I'll answer here: Thanks a lot - and just to get :backtotopic: - one more of my long-term plans is to push my music out much harder. It is funny how you think it is all gonna work itself out when you start off - now I see how ridiculous I was to think that :D

Not a "grand plan" per se--I take a sort of 12-step approach. "One Year at a Time." I do set goals, and publish 'em in the blog so I don't forget them, and then measure how far I got. Been doing this for the past two years.

You will be happy to know I will not be taking over the world this year, by storm or any other way. I did intend to record the next CD, set up an online sales outlet, hook up with a band (did that), join a songwriters association (that, too), and concentrate on promotion (ditto) while writing at least one good song a month (which has actually been more like one every two months).

In the grand scheme of things, I have not planned to become a Nashville thrall (I understand they don't have any openings, anyway)--which means I need to promote myself as a writer by performing my own stuff, and I've been doing that, even though I am neither a good singer or a good guitarist. I am getting some attention, but I figure I'm a good year away from making any money at it.

Joe

Hey - look at that - they used to pop up, before -didn't they, John? ... anyway - I'll answer here: Thanks a lot - and just to get :backtotopic: - one more of my long-term plans is to push my music out much harder. It is funny how you think it is all gonna work itself out when you start off - now I see how ridiculous I was to think that :D

Hi Finn

Still do, but browser dependent the pop up is left of screen (IE) and center screen (Firefox). For IE this is a changed behaviour.

Cheers

John

Hey

Do you have a big plan for you music? By that I really mean an overall, big picture plan.

I figure although there are common themes, each of us places our effort and sees benefit it different approaches to our music.

Your plan may be as simple as "write songs and play them in my bedroom for my own enjoyment", or it could be very detailed involving management, pitching at labels, marketing etc, or "get a job as a staff writer" etc.

Whatever your plans... tell all!

Cheers

John

Now the competition is at its highest the idea of 'making it' seems a stupid one. Even if you do then the financial reward is very small. And although not in it to make money - not getting paid doesn't pay the rent!

So now i am just developing myself as a producer.Suprised how much i am enjoying it as well.

About to release my debut album with my gf and about to finish the 3rd solo album.

I'll make it brief, but to the point..

climb the ladder, f*ck the ones who can help, love the ones who can help even more.

shows shows shows, release new material and get'er going with someone serious (management etc)

that knows the ropes.

each show we play explodes and the crowed wants more and more.

street team is working, website is working, tons of promotion in Toronto..

climb that damned ladder, money is less of an issue, having you cry as you sing along is the point!

My plan is simply to write and record one album's worth of material, even if it's just for personal 'consumption'. I think that would make me happy... If other people happen to like it too, great! :) But I don't think I'd ever want to bother signing to a record label, or really pushing my material on the world at large... Partly cause the pay will most likely be dropping dramatically, but mostly cause I think I would slowly go insane if I had to deal with public appearances too much! Lol...

Huh, all my life plans are fairly 'half-way' markish actually... I don't want to be a highly paid successful ANYTHING really... And I'll be happy if in a few (10-20) years time I have a small holding and a workshop... Screw a farm and my own company, I'll be happy half-way... Lol... At least I should be able to avoid disappointment though!?!

Rohan