Your Ad Could Be Here

Vocal On A Demo

Hi everyone,

One question that springs to mind, and I'm not even sure if this is the right thread for it, is producing the demo.

When I produce my songs using Band in a Box I am quite pleased with the result, but when I add my vocals to it I am less pleased. In a nutshell, I would the first to admit that I am no singer. Click onto the link below and listen to my songs and you'll see what I mean.

Does this matter as far as the overall demo goes. My idea of a demo is to demonstrate how the song should sound, but I feel my singing lets it down.

Is there any way of getting round this? I'm not really in the music scene here so don't know any other people who can sing so is there a serive that can add the vocal to my midi file and produce a good quality demo.

With money being tight at the moment, I guess what I'm looking for is someone who wants to demonstrate the singing ability whilst I demonstrate my songwriting ability and by this I mean for free.

Does any such person or service exist?

Ah well, here's hoping.

Hey

It really depends on why you are producing the demos. Fun? To pitch for work? To license your material? To get a deal as a performer? To get a deal as a writer?

I go by the principle that every song deserves to be shown at it's very best. The best quality performance and the best quality recording etc. In terms of singing I write most songs for myself to sing but not all.

On your recordings do you feel your voice is at fault, or the recordings, or both?

Another option is to pay a session singer if it is simply to get the recording done the way you want.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I guess my aim would be to get a deal as a writer. Performing is something that doesn't interest me, but I have made it my goal to get at least one of my songs published.

When I hear the recording I think it is my voice that lets it down, I am quite satisfied with the music just not the voice.

Many thanks

Nigel

Hey

Ok I'd try and make the song as good as possible to show it off at it's best, but it's not essential as long as the melody is there. If it was me I'd still try and sort the problems and get a good recording, even if it meant hiring a singer.

You might find a singer on the boards willing to help?

Worth also spending time to get your own voice sorted out longer term, do some exercises etc. AnneC may be able to advise on the vocals board.

Cheers

John

I'd be happy to slam things in for you, if it's not too much. I haven't time right now, but I'm sure in the next 6 month there should be an opening for this. I usually charge for stuff like that, but for demo work for a fellow Songstuffer I'd be happy to contribute.