Your Ad Could Be Here

Registering A Copyright...

Hi,

i'm looking to register my copyright for additional protection should any infringer try to rob me?? so far i've found two in the uk, (UKCS) copyright service, and the (intellectual property rights office copyright registration service) just for verification, is anyone on this site registered with these companies??? just so i know i'm going to the right place

Thanks

Musicmad

I am not registered with any of those, neither do I know anyone who is and frankly I think they try to make money of people just like you who are (maybe just a bit too) worried about copyright.

You have copyright to your material once you have created it and put it down in some physical form.

Then to be absolutely certain that you can prove it, here's how you do it: put your material in an envelope and seal it thoroughly. Then mail it to yourself getting it stamped on the post office with the date. Voilá - you now have proof of your copyright.

i'm looking to register my copyright for additional protection should any infringer try to rob me??

Hey Lee.

I am becoming confused.

My impression was that your concerns have already been addressed HERE.

Nobody can give you a magic bullet for protection.

Protection comes to you the same way it comes to a huge multinational pharmaceutical company guarding the formula for their newest chemical cocktail – i.e., entirely through their own vigilance and readiness to pursue the issue in civil law (it is rare that copyright infringement becomes criminal).

What that means is if your copyright is infringed you can’t call a policeman and expect the enforcers to take care of it out of civic taxes. You would have to hire a lawyer and go for a settlement or a court decision. Sometimes, for those of us who are not pharmaceutical corporations, it’s simply not worth the trouble.

(maybe just a bit too) worried about copyright.

Good point.

Think about it, Lee…

Realistically – Who is going to rip you off ?

Seriously – Why would anyone bother to do that ?

If they are successful and make loads of money at it, and yet you can demonstrate title, then you are going to have a choice of lawyers lining up ready to take your case on a contingency basis. So you’re protected when it’s worthwhile at least. Otherwise don’t worry unduly.

Finn is perfectly correct in each of his observations – so don’t waste your money on any of those alleged services. No doubt a court would give them some evidentiary value if it came down to a fight over authorship, but that much maligned ‘poor man’s copyright’ would do as well for just the cost of registered mail . Plus - if you actually publish/release your stuff for sale (presuming some nasty bastard hasn’t already broken into your home without you noticing and has published/released the stolen stuff ahead of you but under his/her own name instead) then I don’t much see you ever facing a serious ownership challenge. Do you ?

You should just stop faffling about, download and read this file from PRS/MCPS to understand what's going on, then get 'em on the phone (I already gave you the number), ask 'em what you want to (they are very helpful: it's their job), have a chat, join up, and then get your stuff out there.

Good luck.

Edited by Lazz

Your replies are helpful and appreciated, but i've read on many websites that registering a copyright gives the copyright holder a stronger case of evidence should there be a dispute.. over authorship.. whereas just mailing the work to yourself may not even be accepted by a lawyer if the copyright was not registered with an official body, (extra witnesses etc.) hence the registration services... Sure i understand these registration companies are out to make a dollar.. but if the above is correct with such lawyers, then i don t mind paying the extra few dollars to protect my work. Whats wrong with having additional witnesses to authenticate my ownership of copyright anyway??

Mm

Edited by musicmad

i've read on many websites ... if the copyright was not registered with an official body

Are you truly asserting that UKCS and the grand sounding "Intellectual Property Rights Office" are official bodies ?

While the PRS/MCPS Alliance is not ?

If you are so determined to cling to assumptions, Lee - why continue seeking opinion here ?

I'm not sure what more any of us can tell you.

Are you truly asserting that UKCS and the grand sounding "Intellectual Property Rights Office" are official bodies ?

While the PRS/MCPS Alliance is not ?

If you are so determined to cling to assumptions, Lee - why continue seeking opinion here ?

I'm not sure what more any of us can tell you.

What is it with this MCPS thing? I understand their operation and what they do, they are just a collection society that dish out licences to third parties who wish to use, copy, or publish another copyright holders property, They recieve payment, they take their cut and forward the proceeds to the copyright holder (hence the mechanical royalties).

I contacted MCPS directly and spoke to one of their personnel, they explained all and i understud all. They protect your work so nobody can use it without you getting paid for it. But where i think your misunderstanding me Lazz, is that i'm not talking about potential infringers trying to use my work without me knowing about it, i'm talking exsclusively! about authorship in that somebody may claim that my work is their work and if that ever was the case, i don't think MCPS would stand by my side in court and plead out my case over authorship of copyright, hence the reason for having additional witnesses to prove authorship of copyright, that being the (UKCS) or (CRS) copyright registration services. I understand the traditional method is to address the copyright to yourself through the national post, but as i've already said.. what is wrong with having additional witnesses to authenticate ownership of copyright anyway?

I continue to seek advice on many forums Lazzy! This is just one of them...

Musicmad

Edited by musicmad