Your Ad Could Be Here

Connecting My Midi To My Computer

I'm using Cakewalk Music Creator 3 software, and I'm trying to get my MIDI connected, but I got the wrong audio cables for it. I'm looking at the Music Creator booklet now, and it says I need a 5-pin MIDI cable. However, the instructions tell me to plug both cables into my electronic keyboard, so I don't know how it's all connecting it to the computer. Someone help! [smiley=microwave.gif]

On the keyboard, you should have 2 or 3 midi connectors (5 pin) These will be IN, OUT, and THRU. On the computer, depending on what you have as a soundcard, you can plug into a serial port, or a USB port.

What soundcard do you have? Or is it an onboard soundcard? Have a look here for some usefull information.

Hey

to send your note presses from your keyboard to your PC you need 1 cable. The connects the MIDI OUT on your keyboard to your MIDI IN on your soundcard.

If your keyboard also plays sounds you should connect your PC MIDI OUT to your keyboard MIDI IN with a second cable.

If using the second configuration, go into your keyboard manual and check how you can turn off "local control" or could be just down as "local".

Cheers

John

On the keyboard, you should have 2 or 3 midi connectors (5 pin) These will be IN, OUT, and THRU. On the computer, depending on what you have as a soundcard, you can plug into a serial port, or a USB port.

What soundcard do you have? Or is it an onboard soundcard? Have a look here for some usefull information.

harddrive.jpg

I have a free USB port as seen in the picture. Is there any way I could plug it into this?

Hey neo, your computer has dandruff. :P

Honestly, I dunno about how reliable those USB to midi converters are in practice - and if you're using the onboard Dell that could be a real problem all by itself.

I'd consider checking out the cheaper external sound devices and plug *that* into the USB, have 2 real 5-pin midi ports, and loads better sound to boot - and probably costs not much more than a converter. Last time I saw one I was appalled at the price.

Anyway, do the math - but if the difference is small, go for the better sound device.

Hey neo, your computer has dandruff. :P

Honestly, I dunno about how reliable those USB to midi converters are in practice - and if you're using the onboard Dell that could be a real problem all by itself.

I'd consider checking out the cheaper external sound devices and plug *that* into the USB, have 2 real 5-pin midi ports, and loads better sound to boot - and probably costs not much more than a converter. Last time I saw one I was appalled at the price.

Anyway, do the math - but if the difference is small, go for the better sound device.

I know, it needs a shower. :P

What do you mean by "external sound devices"?

Essentially a soundcard in a separate box - since PCI is on the way out, and PCI-E cards are pretty rare and expensive, at least what I've seen.

There's ones made by Edirol and M-Audio that use USB or Firewire, depending on your preferences. Edirol UA-25 or FA 66, and as I said M-Audio should have something cheaper maybe.

Those type of units (but do check) usually have every type of port you could wish for.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/ua-25/

This is what you need. It plugs into the game port (Where you would plug in a joystick) the two 5 pin din plugs are for your midi in and out from your keyboard. If you scroll down the page, you'll see the M-Audio Audiophile 2496, which is a card I've just installed on my computer. It's pretty cheap at less than £50. But is superb! It comes with all the leads you need for midi and audio. Might be worth checking it out!

Hey

The usb2 -> MIDI devices on the first page are perfectly adequate for basic midi I/O.

Many basic PCs use sound modules on your PC motherboard. They are low quality, inflexible and have little support for I/O or high quality audio.

More common for making music is sound cards that slot into the PCI, or now PCI-E slots. There are lots of PCI and several PCI-E cards that are of pro or semi-pro quality. These do have MIDI support and depending on the card have sound generation capability.

Also quite common now are external I/O boxes providing both MIDI and audio inputs and outputs, and a few that also provide sound generation capability.

Other than that other external sound sources include MIDI synths, keyboards and samplers.

Looks like on-board sound to me. And I didn't see a serial port. Do computers still come with serial ports these days? You could get a PCI card with a game port (I saw somebody mention a device that plugs into the game port)--but I think I'd agree with the folks who recommended getting something completely outside the computer. I don't think Dells were made for music production.

Joe

I think the question is what are you going to use the MIDI for? If all you need is straight MIDI to control either a VSTi or automation parameters, etc., then all you need is a MIDI to USB converter. This can be something as simple as a cable (your link) or a breakout USB / MIDI box such as http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAu...face?sku=701226

If you need MIDI to control external devices (sequencers, sound modules, etc.) then that is a different story.

I need it to connect my MIDI to the musical software I have, Cakewalk Music Creator 3.

It should work, but with most onboard soundsytems you get pretty bad latency (delay) - another reason why I suggested a different soundcard, internal or external. You'd have hardly any latency, and *much* better sound usually. Those older Realtek onboards are semi-decent for a videogame or dvd, at best - not the best idea for music production. Just my 2 cents. :)

It should work, but with most onboard soundsytems you get pretty bad latency (delay) - another reason why I suggested a different soundcard, internal or external. You'd have hardly any latency, and *much* better sound usually. Those older Realtek onboards are semi-decent for a videogame or dvd, at best - not the best idea for music production. Just my 2 cents. :)

How much delay would I get with the product link I posted above?

It's not the cable that produces any delay, it's the inferior onboard sound. With a dedicated soundcard, it comes with it's own processor, eliminating many latency problems. Even a cheap Soundblaster will be better than onboard sound. Have a look on ebay, there are tons of them on there for just a few quid!