Your Ad Could Be Here

Double Bass

I've become a bit obsessed with joining bands at the moment - it's probably some sort of approaching middle age thing.

After my son sat on my mandolin and broke the bridge I went to get it fixed at my local music shop and came out twenty minutes later having joined a bluegrass band (so that makes 1- individual stuff I do 2-Box of Goats 3-potentially reformed Generic Sensation may need a bass player for gigs 4-Eric Pope and the Cardinals 5-duo with Irish friend playing acoustic music 6-bluegrass band - a band for each day of the week with a day off for good behaviour and gardening).

The entertaining bit is that I'm going to be playing double bass (and perhaps mandolin - which is one extreme to another). I have played one probably three times in my life but after half an hours practice on Friday I am hooked. Wonderful sound and feel to it. Totally weird size and feel. Tiring to play and support it.

After a bit of playing the spacing etc is starting to make sense and it isn't really that different to an electric bass fundamentally - well perhaps it is but I'm sure I'll adapt.

Anyone else play one?

As and aside I'm a bit stunned as to what has happened musically recently. Having never played in public (apart from 2 gigs 38 years ago) I have started playing lots of live music with the prospect of playing much more. I have had a really good six months where I have met some excellent (professional) musicians who seem happy to let me play with them and I find myself playing with a calibre of player that I would never have dreamt possible. Tthe banjo player and guitar player in the bluegrass thing are rather impressive and play in Nashville sometimes along with teaching guitar, playing concerts and making odd CDs - the guitarist I am in awe of. The other band has a wonderful singer / fiddle player /guitarist who was playing and making his living as a musician in the States who I can't believe wants to play with me. Curious thing life.

• 1 year later...

I see its 2 years since this post, but I was gonna write a similar post, so I rather bump this one.

I started playing doublebass 1,5 months ago. I was in the band with a girl my age (21) and her father had heard me play and appearantly thought I was adequate musically to play in his bluegrass band.

So now I play with 5 people who's been in the business longer than I have lived, 3 of them professional teachers, and with the girl I mentioned earlier, who also sung since she was a little girl. It's a really weird situation, and I obviously ain't in their league. But it's very fun, and extremely educational. I've learned more about bass and music these 1,5 months than just as much years of guitar playing. Its really hard, and I have to practise alot, but its really worth it! So this summer I'll be playing in a Norwegian Country Festival, and do a warm up gig for The Isaacs (Yikes!)

So I hope anyone out there got some tips or trick, or knows some good training techniques? Anything is of interest!

Thanks =)

Larry

Are you going to be bowing or using your fingers?

From what I can glean from players on the web bowing takes a lot of skill, some of the things to consider are -

- bow speed

- bow pressure

- bow placement (i.e. where it meets the string between the bridge and fingerboard)

- bow angle (should be perpendicular to the strings)

- amount of rosin on the bow hair

- tension of bow hair

- a relaxed bow hold

- relaxed wrist, shoulder, forearm and torso.

- amount of hair in contact with the string, i.e. is the bow flat against the string or at an angle?

Failure to get any one of these incorrect can result in poor tone.