Your Ad Could Be Here

Late To The Party

Hi folks,

I recetly bought a E-Mu ESI32 on E-Bay, I got it for a ridiculosy small amount, it will be here 07/21/08. The problem is I know little to nothing about this machine. Yes I've downloaded the manual in PDF but it really doesn't answer the questions I have. Since I don't have the unit yet I guess some of this is moot till it shows up. It's supposed to have the full 32mb of memory and includes a cd rom. I'm hoping that means one that can hook to the SCSI port but I won't know for sure it has a SCSI port till it gets here.

I found by reading web pages that it is supposed to be able to read samples made for the AKAI 1000. I found some Akai samples listed on Kid Nepro but I don't know if they are sound files you sample into the machine or samples you can load.

I've always wanted a sampler, so I hope this works out.

The current equipment I have:

Alesis QS6.1

E-Mu XL-1 Extreme Lead

E-Mu ESI32 (in transit)

E-Mu Proteus 2 (in transit)

Kawai K1

Korg M1R

Roland JX-3P With PG200 Programer

(2) Roland MT32

Roland HP6000s Digital Piano

(2) Yamaha MV802 Mixers

Oberheim Cyclone

Oberheim Strummer

I have several PCs and SCSI cards and drives so rigging one up and dedicating it to the ESI32 won't be a problem. I haven't decided on Software as yet. In the old days when I had an Atari 520st I used the Music Studio from Activision. I'm currently leaning toward Cakewalk Sonar, but would love to hear pros and cons.

JRG

Hey

I have an ESI 4000, very similar to the ESI 32. I will see what I can dig out for you.

Cheers

John

Thanks, I may have posted it somewhere else, but I've forgotten where, I really like some of the samples at http://www.boldersounds.net/ but I can't figure out if they will work with the ESI32. I wrote to their customer support but I guess they either haven't had time or don't want to bother with a noob to answer. The sampler will be here tomorrow while I'm at work. Soooo I won't get to look at it till tomorrow night. I'll know more then IE SCSI or no SCSI (From what I've read unless it's an early one it should have SCSI), what kind of CD their talking about, whether it even powers up or not :). Something I know I Need/Want is a good thunderstorm sample. I want to sample my guitar for use with the Oberheim Strumer. I'm assuming I can plug it into the mixer and run the mixers outputs to the sampler play a chord and sample it.

JRG

It's Here. Just got in from work and am to tired to actually make a space for this as yet. However here's what I know so far. It has the 3.02 Upgrade, has an external SCSI CD rom. Came with 3 banks (2 disks each) Rhythm, Orchestral, Stereo Grand a CD from Greytsounds E-mu EIII xp/xs Volume 1 "The Best of Everything". SCSI cables and <gasp> even a manual. I plug it in as soon as I can get some midi cables to it and patch cords to plug it into the mixer. I might even have to get a couple of Small mixers to mix some of my other stuff so I'll have enough imputes. Wow I'm tired, wish I could mess with it, but I'm not working tomorrow ... Wooo .. Hoo..

JRG

I won't duplicate it but I posted the latest on the ESI32 Saga in

Anyone still using the ESi 32? Topic

Short version SCSI CD drive works fine love the sounds on the Greytsouds CD.

Fairlight I, II, III, Synclavier and many other classic synths I could never have gotten any other way. Very pleased so far.

JRG

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, I wish I had started with all E-Mu Equipment and saved myself a bunch of money. I just got a Proteus 2000 I've been bidding on one of these for a while now and finally snagged one. I've been playing with it all afternoon. I could have replaced every single piece of equipment I have bought over the last 20 years with this one device and still not have run out of possibilities. No wonder the ROM cards that go into this little wonder go for so much. The first two I think I want to add are the 2 orchestral modules, which if I understand correctly are the innards from the Virtuoso module. I heard a demo of this unit on line somewhere and it fits squarely into my perceived niche. So if I can ever get some more sample CDs for the ESI32 and add 4 more Rom cards (3 empty slots in P2K and one in XL1). If I can get a P2K that's had the composer ROM removed for cheap enough I could have another 4 slots. So any suggestions on which ROMs fit into Trance, Space, Film Score, Electonica?

Here's the list

Siedlaczek Orchestra 32 MB ROM.

Pure Phatt 32 MB ROM - standard in Mo'Phatt, MP-7 and MK-6.

Beat Garden 32 MB ROM - standard in Orbit 3.

Protozoa 16 MB ROM - standard in Proteus 1, 2, 3.

Definitive B-3 32 MB ROM - standard in B-3.

Techno Synth Construction Yard 32 MB ROM - standard in Orbit 3.

Orchestral Session Vol. 1 32 MB ROM - standard in Virtuoso 2000.

Orchestral Session Vol. 2 32 MB ROM - standard in Virtuoso 2000.

World Expedition 32 MB ROM - standard in Planet Earth.

Sounds of the ZR feat. Perfect Piano 32 MB ROM - standard in Ensoniq

Halo.

X-Lead 32 MB ROM - standard in Xtreme Lead-1, XL-7 and XK-6.

JRG

Alesis QS6.1

E-Mu ESI32

E-Mu Proteus/2

E-Mu Proteus 2000

E-Mu XL-1

Kawai K1

Korg M1R

Roland JX-3P with PG-200 programmer

Roland HP6000s Digital Piano

2 Roland MT-32

2 Yamaha MV802 mixers

Oberheim Cyclone

Obeheim Strummer

Your right about that, the ROMs cost more than I paid for the Proteus 2000. I'm not sure of the cost in relation to setting up a complete computer and buying the software to go with a VST. Personally I think keeping the load off the computer processor by using Real Synths would be a benefit, but then you have to worry about getting the sound back into the computer. I'm getting an Alesis IO2 Audio Midi USB Interface for that purpose. Hopefully SCSI cables will arrive today and I can continue trying to hook my ESI32 to my computer :).

JRG

• 4 weeks later...
Did you get your scsi cable? What are you using as a librarian?

Got the cable installed the SCSI card and the SATA controller went crazy and started insisting that I create a drive array. If I do that will wipe out the data on the drive. I'm now in the process of trying to get a new drive controller card. I may head out to the storage unit and just grab another computer and move the SCSI card to it. Don't have any librarian software as yet, my first task is to see if I can get WAV files loaded onto the ESI32 using SOUND FORGE 6. I downloaded a free vocoder "AnalogX" and made a cool wav I'd like to try. I'm on my way out to try and buy a SATA card locally if I can't find that I'm heading for the storage unit to get another computer.

Picked up to Cd's of samples from Syntec very nice sounds for the ESI32.

Got the Proteus/1 with Protologic board, really cool unit. Now I need to do something different for a mixer setup. One of my Yamaha MV802 is making noise and I need at least another 4 inputs. Just about all the E-Mus claim that you can plug a cable into one of the extra outputs that if setup properly will send the input to the main outs but I can't figure out if I need to make a cable or if I can buy them pretty made the guys at the music store just looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about it.

JRG