Your Ad Could Be Here

Preferred Song Form

john

Hey

Do you have a preferred song form? I really over use verse chorus form. I need to diversify the song forms I regularly use.

I've been writing a pretty bluesy track but wanted to update it a bit. It's a mix between a 12 bar song form and verse / chorus with the verse being a 12 bar construct complete with a refrain, followed by a more modern bouncy indie style format for the chorus. At least that is where it is at just now musically. The result at least to my ear is an unexpected chorus... but it fits. I have a few ideas for the lyrics but nothing set in stone yet. Should be fun.

Cheers

John

In a word, no.

I write mostly country music, and there is a danger to fall into the verse/chorus (&c.) habit. I try to avoid it. With over 50 songs now that are "keepers," it's been a bit difficult on occasion to keep each one different, but I have mostly managed. I've had songs start with the chorus, or not have a chorus at all, and sometimes the chorus will have different chords than the verses, and sometimes not. Sometimes I'll set myself weird patterns just to see if I can pull it off.

Working without a chorus is always a fun exericse. Where do you put the hook? and how few times can you use the hook and still be effective?

Joe

When I first started analysing Song form I heard a band called (don't laugh) Grim Reaper. What stood out to me was that they had great riffs, but they used the verses as an excuse to get to the chorus, which was hooky, no lie, but they then proceeded to play it to death... See You in Hell, their flagship tune went round the chorus 14 times. 14 times is TOO MANY!!! It stuck with me and I vowed to never fall into that trap. No matter how hooky a chorus is, you should not be sick of it after one spin of the tune.

One of the things I usually end up doing, not by consious design, is to sing two totally different parts over the same Music, changing the feel up, without changing the Musical notes. Most noticable in my Hivemind tune LOH.

If everyone wrote to the same song form, there would bee no surprises.

Good topic [smiley=bounce.gif]

I have a reasonable few straight 12 and 16-bar formats in my catalogue, and a small handful of no-name hybrids, but over half my songs show a clear preferences for the aged classic 32-bar AABA form - plus a few variations that are obviously based upon it - I mean, even if not exactly 32-bars, the skeletal is still AABA.

Guess that means I like bridges.

In a word, no.

I write mostly country music, and there is a danger to fall into the verse/chorus (&c.) habit. I try to avoid it. With over 50 songs now that are "keepers," it's been a bit difficult on occasion to keep each one different, but I have mostly managed. I've had songs start with the chorus, or not have a chorus at all, and sometimes the chorus will have different chords than the verses, and sometimes not. Sometimes I'll set myself weird patterns just to see if I can pull it off.

Working without a chorus is always a fun exericse. Where do you put the hook? and how few times can you use the hook and still be effective?

Joe

Hey Joe

I don't mean I always use verse chorus as standard. I play with the form but they are still derived from verse chorus form. I do have some blues form songs and AAA or AAB format songs, but most fall into verse chorus derivatives... ie. they have a distinct verse component and chorus component. The exact order and number vary from song to song.

What I feel I should do more of is AAA, AAB and their derivatives, plus the blues forms and other song forms.

Cheers

John