Your Ad Could Be Here

Test Your Hearing- Age Matters

Can barely detect 14000 HZ . 46 yrs old

Could this mean there is a lot we are missing and does it mean that some of the mixing levels might be pointless for an age group.

Couple links here to test your hearing.

Post levels and your age for some fun

http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/

http://www.flashpresskits.com/hearingtest/

Edited by cobalt21

As a follow up to this

Some of the convenience stores are now puting loudspeakers outside blasting 17.4 khz to keep teens from hanging out in front of the store. They cant stand it.

Us adults cant even hear it.

So, Parents want some private time, now you know what to do:)

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I did it wrong.

60 years old and I could hear all frequencies. Forty years ago in Vietnam two explosions damaged both my eardrums; one was pierced. I couldn't hear well for months. In my forties my hearing tested good for my age but it was a controlled environment and each ear was tested separately.

Now I have a little trouble hearing words clearly in noisey places. The ears get tired pretty fast when recording. Have to take lots of breaks.

Whaddya say? :P

Maybe I did it wrong.

60 years old and I could hear all frequencies. Forty years ago in Vietnam two explosions damaged both my eardrums; one was pierced. I couldn't hear well for months. In my forties my hearing tested good for my age but it was a controlled environment and each ear was tested separately.

Now I have a little trouble hearing words clearly in noisey places. The ears get tired pretty fast when recording. Have to take lots of breaks.

Whaddya say? :P

I think you've hit the nail on the head. When you get older, the top end doesn't just gradually become hi-cut, what happens is you end up with a lot of notches in your hearing and this makes it more difficult to focus on certain sounds.

• 2 weeks later...
The thought occurs that unless the people doing these tests have a real shit hot set of reference monitors that are certified flat up to 20KHz, it's quite possibly the speakers and not the ears that are causing the inability to hear sixteen kilohertz.

Yeh, I thought of that except my 16 yr old son covers his ears in pain and I hear absolutely nothing? I agree though, I might be able to here a little higher on better speakers

It has a lot to do with how well you've taken care of your ears as well as your age.

The human ear is very good at protecting itself with the ossicular chain against isolated incidences of loud noises with basso fundamentals, but it isn't well designed to protect itself against loud concerts or nightclubs setups with sizzly high shelved music.

Personally, I never go to gigs under any circumstance, try to avoid loud noise wherever possible and always use ear plugs when I'm jamming or recording with a drummer present.