Your Ad Could Be Here

Trying to get the wright sound??

I suppoese I was wondering if your mic was any good; I've never heard of the equipment in question but it sounds like it's decent. Possibly a dedicated brass mic?

It's difficult to diagnose without first hand knowledge of the problem, however some pointers might be 1. Add compression to get a louder punchier sound, 2. Add a tube amp effect to warmi it up, 3. Boost mid range while easing off the top end.

Maybe someone out there could be a little more specific than that but try experimenting with the stuff I mentioned and let us know how you got on.

But then again your description sounds as though the sound you are getting really sucks and if you are using a decent mic this shouldn't be the case. Are their settings on your mic or pre amp that need sorting out, try adjusting the gain. Compare and contrast with another mic.

• Noob

Hi again,

what is for you a (dedicated BRASS mike??) names of models please. The only other mike that I have is a Roland dr-20 mainly for voice but the suck sound is still the same. I have ajusted my gain on the preamp so that the red lighty does not clip. My sound card is a Delta 44.

Best regards, POPS

Hi Pops

I think you have to go through a process of elimination to try and sort out which piece of equipment is colouring the sound. try monitoring the sound through headphones just after the preamp. For example take your preamp straight into a power amp and use the headphone output. To do this effectively you'll need to isolate yourself from the source. i.e. get someone other than you to play your trumpet. Double check all the signal paths on both your pre-amp and within your PC to make sue that settings are correct and that the signal you are recording doesn't contain a feedback loop.

Are any other signals recorded through that channel tonally coloured in the same way?

try another pre-amp with the same Mike and card. If both your Mikes are coloured the same way it's probably not the Mike. As I said you need to test each bit of kit in isolation. Is the pre-amp EQ switched in or out? Are the Mike boost/pad settings correct for the Mike type and signal levels? Do you have any other FX/compression etc in the signal path?

Lastly: Are any other instruments recorded through this system using the same card I/O?

Cheers

John

presently using an apex 161 bell mounted on my trumpet

Try removing the mic from the trumpet and putting some air between the two. Also you could try plugging in the other mic and placing that  a small distance away, then record the two inputs on seperate channels, and mixing the signals.

• 2 years later...