Your Ad Could Be Here

5.1-channel mixing

I just acquired Minnetonka's DTS encoder. It's a nice gadget, but I'm confused as to how to mix my music in a user friendly environment in 5.1 before encoding it. It can't humanly be done by splitting stereo tracks in 5 distinct mono channel to encode it (as the encoder requires). Is there another way?

I've heard of Nuendo and Elogic, are they any good in mxing in surround or 5.1?

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried both Nuendo (version 2) and EMagic Pro-Logic. They have both have an INCREDIBLY high learning curve,  BUT...

I've found "Cool Edit Pro" version 2 now called "Audition" by  Adobe. What is really cool is that you have a surround panner for all 6 channels. Just pan each individual tracks from your final mix and voilà.

What's even greater, is that you don't need an AC3 or DTS encoder, WMA version 9 can encode in 5.1!!!

I just made my first 5.1 channel mix with the program, and let me tell you that it's amazing! For those who, like me, don't have the equipment or expertise to separate instruments through EQing, 5.1 channel panning allows clear distinction of every instuments.

;D

Hey Marc

Sorry I haven't posted. Interesting stuff. I've never put together a 5:1 mix.

Cheers

John

The problem is, though increasing in number, how many do have a 5.1 speaker setup, if I am to share those songs? And it does take a little more time for producing too, consequently less for composing and playing...

Hey Marc

What format are the output files in?

cheers

John