Your Ad Could Be Here

Sticky Harddrive dilemma

Been trying to import some audio samples from a firewire hardrive. The chaps I borrowed it from use Macs. However the samples are in Giga format which runs on PC.

The problem is none of my machines can recognise the drive. The software knows it's there but can't talk with it to access the data.

Can anyone enlighten?

???:o

STEEEEEVVVVVVE

You are a gentleman, a scholar, a disco roller and all  round veritable scuba baby!

Thank you.

It would appear that the Mac and PC hard drive protocols are incompatible. The utility at the suggested URL is Transmac which allows you to copy files from Mac to PC. It works beautifully. Cost £40 mind but I needed this capability and will probably need it again in the future.

Point of interest: How long does it take to copy 110 Gigs drive to drive. - 1.5 hours. How long does it take to delete said data - 40 seconds.

Cheers mate.

Hey Dave

To copey the data, it has to move all the data. To delete the data, it just clears the entries from the File Allocation Table (FAT i.e. FAT32). This is just a table that points to each of the files on the drive. The data is not overwritten, the system now just can't see it. :o

Cheers

John

• 4 weeks later...