And he brings in the crowd all summer long

A stand out when he's walking in the park

Follows his master with such bashfulness

Perks his ears back like he's ready to embark

A simple tilt of the heads shows he's curious

Kooka is gentle, young and playful at heart

And when it comes to his smile I don't know where to start

~TIMOTHY~

Hey, Timothy--I love dogs, too, and they've inspired a fair amount of poetry. (Have you read Billy Collins? He's got one book with a few dog poems.) I've written two myself; maybe I'll post one of those. ANYWAY...You understand the rhyme scheme for sonnets, but are you deliberately or accidentally ignoring the 5-iamb-line rule for traditional sonnets? (10 syllables per line, Da-DAH-da-DAH-da-DAH-da-DAH-da-DAH) Those alternating accents are important for flow. Of course, you don't have to write in 10-syllable lines, but you should have some even number of syllables per line if you really want it to be a sonnet, and the accents need to follow a repetitive pattern as well. (For instance, it could be Da-da-DAH-da-da-DAH....) It's great to see someone who actually likes to do formal structured poetry these days. It's like a puzzle,isn't it? Have fun with it!

• 3 months later...

Hey, Timothy--I love dogs, too, and they've inspired a fair amount of poetry. (Have you read Billy Collins? He's got one book with a few dog poems.) I've written two myself; maybe I'll post one of those. ANYWAY...You understand the rhyme scheme for sonnets, but are you deliberately or accidentally ignoring the 5-iamb-line rule for traditional sonnets? (10 syllables per line, Da-DAH-da-DAH-da-DAH-da-DAH-da-DAH) Those alternating accents are important for flow. Of course, you don't have to write in 10-syllable lines, but you should have some even number of syllables per line if you really want it to be a sonnet, and the accents need to follow a repetitive pattern as well. (For instance, it could be Da-da-DAH-da-da-DAH....) It's great to see someone who actually likes to do formal structured poetry these days. It's like a puzzle,isn't it? Have fun with it!

Thanks for reading and commenting! I haven't been on this site in forever and I thought i'd check to see how everything is going. No i've never heard of billy collins but I love poems.

I didn't really think about counting syllables in a sonnet. But it was pretty hard for me to keep the consistant rhyming (or slant rhyming). So some of the lines are a bit offset and cause it to have troubling flowing. I might try to edit it sometime in the future but there was some lines in there I wanted to keep and couldn't think of ways to adjust them and still mean what I wanted it to mean.

Also i've never been able to get "accented" syllables and "non-accented" syllables. It has never made sense to me. I homeschool and my mom is my teacher and she doesn't even know what to say to me to help me understand, because she doesn't truely understand it either. It may not be a true, official sonnet but it's close as I could get.... i've written several more since this one, I may just post some more.

You're right it is like a puzzle! yet I find it easier to write when there's some structure to it instead of writing free verse.

Anywho, thanks for commenting and giving me your opinion! it is greatly appreciated :D

~TIMOTHY~