Your Ad Could Be Here

Converting .wav to .MP3

Anyone know how to convert a .wav to an MP3 file?

Windows Media Player converts MP3 to wav but I need to do it the other way round as I have lost the masters for some of my songs and only have them as .wav on CD.

Any ideas?

Alistair

Hi Alistair,

There are plenty of solutions. I personnaly use Musicmatch Jukebox (the free version):

http://www.musicmatch.com/

Audacity is also a general purpose audio software. Freeware, and open source.

Audacity is a free audio editor. You can record sounds, play sounds, import and export WAV, AIFF, Ogg Vorbis, and MP3 files, and more.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I have lost the masters for some of my songs and only have them as .wav on CD.

?

Don't tell me the master was the MP3, and the .wav is only a copy?   ::)

Didier

Thanks, Didier. Very helpful - I will investigate.

The master was a Cakewalk file but I accidentally deleted it!  :-[

never fear al there are programs avalable to retrive "lost" files as windows does not actually delete them just hides them away in free space

unless you re-formated your drive since the file you have lost look up some trial versions and maybee even free ones on

www.download.com

cheers

nigel

Thanks Nige - but it was a deliberate delete to clear space about 9 months ago - I didn't think I'd need the master again but...... :-[

No prospect of recovery - all I want to do is convert to MP3 from Wav, not to manipulate the mix or anything.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a good no-frills converter at home, I'll post the name when I get home tonight if you're still looking for one.

MP3 WAV WMA OGG Converter

Do a search for this, it is a no frills converter.

I was wrong, I tried to pay for this one and got caught up in a bunch of BS, any suggestions?

Thanks Nigel,

That's where I found that one, guess it's back for another try.

Solved! I went to the site Nige recommended and found Cheetah, a burner/file converter - it is really simple and quick to convert any sound format to any other format. And it's free. I'm ignoring the burner - it was 8MB to download but worth it.

I tried Musicmatch, Didier, which looked good but it would not download all its compenents properly - thanks, anyway.

Now I can upload some of my older stuff which I don't have the masters for.....

I tried Musicmatch, Didier, which looked good but it would not download all its compenents properly - thanks, anyway.

Hmmm, I'm surprized by this. Musicmatch was actually the free software that was listed on the old MP3.Com site for many years. It was pretty much the standard.

I know I've used many different converters over the years and always found Musicmatch to be one of the best.

One thing you need to be watchful for. I know some artists who have used other free converters and for some reason ( I'm not an expert) when they uploaded their mp3s to an OMD they weren't recognized and didn't work. Like I said, I'm not sure why but it does happen with some of these converters.

Tom