Your Ad Could Be Here

Metal Riffs

In hard rock and metal phrasing is more important than the types of chords you use, almost more important than the actual notes... get a simple drum groove going and jam over it with a power chord to start out with. Mix up quarter notes, eighths & sixteenths. When you get a rhythm that sounds cool start moving the chord around... slide up or down a step or a minor 3rd, or jump from the E-string to the A-string, or go to a bar and slip a buck into a G-string... Once you got this going on you can see where to punctuate the riff with some additional notes or something different. I think it sounds cool to add a ninth to a power chord, but you might want to turn down the distortion. Major & minor 6ths with or without the power chord are also a cool alternative. Or punctuate the riff with a single note line. Mix & match. Have fun. Surprise yourself. Does this help?

• 2 weeks later...

thanks andrew, boff..

sad part is i don't have an electric guitar, neither can i afford it as for now ! :(

but i have made 3 riffs so far, and they are working well, little bit of thrash element in it {megadeth, old 'tallica}

LOL andrew, thread was meant to be hi jacked coz i m a n00b-ass !! ;)

Steve, I'd definately look forward to what you said, there are little technical stuff here, i need to ask my teacher what does couple of things mean ! but thanks a lot..the main problem with me is, This is my solo project kinda thingy, all i have got is an acoustic guitar only, no drums, nothing else..

Its pretty difficult for me that I jam and i explore things, but i'd sure love to do that, i'll manage somehow !

ohh, btw, thanks again you guys ! :)