Your Ad Could Be Here

Windows 7 & Compatibility Mode

Hey there!!

I would like to soon buy a laptop computer just for my music applications which are, for the most part, Mixcraft 4.5 and Magix Music Studio 14. Mixcraft should run in Windows 7 but MS won't but their tech support folks tell me that it might work in Compatibility Mode. Has anybody here used Compatibility mode with their music apps? If so, what is your experience with it? I know there are many tutorials on it, but I'd like to hear it first hand from somebody who's actually used it for this type of thing.

Thanks

John B.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In many (but not all situations) dealing with compatiblity it boils down to permissions. When one installs it is advised that you do not attempt to simply "Ghost" meaning transfer the program files from one computer to another and cross your fingers. Instead ALWAYS install using right click run as administrator Even if you are logged into the computer as the administrator or you don't have multiple log ons.

The second major issue with music software and Vista/Windows is Stream from disk. While it was available on 98, Vista and windows 7 don't support this. Stream "from" disk. means it bypasses the ram and heads straight for the processor. This is kind of a must if you have older sound libraries like Proteus X, DSF and earlier EWQL/Miroslav stuff. It broke my heart when I couldn't load the "Combinations" from modern synphony orchestra into Vista.