Your Ad Could Be Here

Cgi

This movie is ALL CGI generated. Everything you see. All home 3D cgi tools at that...

That was pretty impressive! Great work with light and shadow, and I was very impressed with the foliage! It's moved on since I was dabbling with 3d studio Max! I'll try and dig out something I did about 10 years ago. Took me months to do, mainly because I was trying to learn the program as I went along. I'll have a dig about.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Rob. Interesting stuff. I wonder how many hours it took to make? Quite a lot I'm guessing!

• 1 month later...

This happens to be one of my personal fascinations. 8)

Probably the most interesting part of that "making of" video is that it's such a clear demonstration of how crucial compositing is to the finished product. (In just the same way that the multi-track recording and mastering processes are critical to "finished product" music.)

The comps ran by fairly quickly, but you could plainly see how some of the shots involved a dozen elements or more; perhaps many more. (I think my personal record is 61.) Folks try to achieve everything they see "in one shot," and spend weeks on render after render, when it does not actually work that way and never has.

Incidentally, I use Blender for my (semi-professional) work, and it's endlessly amazing what it can do. Doesn't cost you a dime (although hundreds of thousands of Euro's worth of development time has been poured into it.

Ready to be completely blown away? Look at this.

Compositing is one of the finer arts, indeed. There's such an awful lot of things involved that all has to come together perfectly to convince - or fail. ???

Kewl you use Blender - it's on my list for when I run out of challenge with After Effects/decide I really really cannot do something in 2.5 D, but have to really start doing things in full 3D.

I know you can do just about everything with it that other, incredibly expensive packages can do, but I personally don't find the interface very cooperative. I'm still on the fence about going the Blender route or consider the only other free alternative, Caligari Truespace 7. I played around with version 3 way back when, and somehow I got my head around that WAY faster than my sessions with Blender, so far. That's probably just me, tho.

For those interested: you will have to run and pick up Caligari ASAP, I read they will probably axe the site soon, and gawn is gawn. :-/

• 7 months later...

This movie is ALL CGI generated.

It is pretty.

But I don't quite get it.

Des the upper case "ALL CGI" truly mean that 'everything' we see is in the piece is computer-generated ?

The architecture ?

The foliage ?

The clouds ?

The camera ?

Had to look up this new (to me) use of the word 'compositing', too.

Only previously familiar with the term in the setting of cold type - another dead art.

• 2 weeks later...

I had been hoping to get an answer to my question from someone.

(And it is NOT "feigned misapprehension")

It won't change the pleasure I got from it even if it does affect just how impressed I might be by the achievement.

I would just like clarification, please.

Thanks.

hey Lazz

Sorry missed your post. Yes from what i understand it is all computer generated. A 3D model framework covered with textures. Exactly how each texture was generated to start with i don't know.