Your Ad Could Be Here

Martin Guitar Dilemma

LarryByrd

Hey dudes. Wanna buy me a new guitar, and found a lovely Martin DCX1EK at my local shop. As I am in Norway it is fairly expensive, but everything is. Approximately 1300-1500 $. But that is the price that has to be paid in my shitty country. The thing is! I found another Martin on net later that night. The DC 16 GTE for 1800 $. I'm always sceptical to buying on net without trying, but I am in a position where I can't try nothing but the DCX model. So what does the crowd think about my dilemma? Go for the safe and slightly cheaper DCX, or gamble on net for the slightly more expensive DC GTE ? The plan was really to buy some small things to my homestudio, or a resonator guitar, but I loved the Martin so, that I think I'm ending up on a new acoustic guitar, even though its a little more expensive than my plan was.

Hope someone has some good answers.

hey

A tough one! I have a DCX1E as it happens, but I've not tried the DC 16 GTE.

Perhaps my experiences with the DCX1E will help? First of all it is the favorite guitar of all the guitars I have regularly played, although the fact that all my guitars were pretty cheap with the exception of a new ovation, and a new ovation 12 string (I can't remember model numbers). The Martin does have some issues though:

Firstly I noticed a sometimes soft buzz under the playing, like a little distortion. When I hit a "sweet spot" however that distortion will ring out quite annoyingly. I had custom guitar maker Jimmy Moon look it over and he couldn't find where it was coming from.

The guitar has a beautiful feel to play, but tonally it is a little mid dominated. That suites me to a degree but you have to like that sound.

Electrics wise was where it really didn't show well. Luckily I no longer gig these days :( Actually that is unfair, the electrics are quite suitable for gigging, however don't be sucked into thinking that they are suitable for anything other than draft recording.

Overall i am a happy guitarist, and although I still drool over other guitars I wouldn't like to be parted from my DCX1E.

I've probably not helped! No guitar is perfect, only perfect for you. To that end, my vote we be on go with buying what feels good to play and what feels good to hear. If the DCX1E don't light you up, don't buy it because of the name, however if it does... then why look elsewhere?

Cheers

john

• 6 months later...

Problem with guitars is, they are very variable products. So if you can, try to have as much choice as possible. (like 20 of the same make and model, even) - you will probably only fall in love with one of them.

If you don't have that luxury - go with the one you can actually hold, and play. Any guitar on the web can be one of those 'other 19' you would have dismissed - it's actually even likely.

So my bet is always to go with the one you can actually try out. If you have a guitar teacher, or a more knowledgeable guitar-playing friend, have him try it too.

I would not mind going on holiday in your 'shitty country' BTW - probably will, in a year or so. :)