Your Ad Could Be Here

Turning A Page In Music City

"You live in Music City, USA, and you're not in the Music Business?" Yeah. Go figure. (And please, append the word: "yet.")

Zip through the last ~25 years of my professional life and it reads: "computer software developer." Extraordinaire, to be sure: I've written and sold my own software product (many thousands of copies); wrote and taught full semester community-college courses; many things that you do not find on the usual resume. But unfortunately, "computer programming" is not the extraordinary thing that it once was, and besides, it is all that I have professionally done.

But... music has always been a part of my life. Keyboards since a kid; not nearly enough guitar. Performance, though, is not what fascinates me. I am, alas, "competent" on the keys. I've got books on orchestration, though, and yes, music theory.

Maybe it's the "geek" in me still, but songwriting ... tunesmithing if you will ... is something that I earnestly desire to master. There is also the creative writer that wants to capture just the right lyric, even though I'll probably always tilt toward being a composer... music notation in hand; Macintosh at the ready. Nonetheless, having had at least a taste of commercial success in other pursuits, I want to learn how to do it well. And, to do it well. I am, indeed, a craftsman.

I'd like to think that a segue into the music industry isn't out of reach for this fortysomething. I'll pass by the guitar players on Broadway at Fifth with an understanding smile, but my dream is to be the author of music that is really good ... and, maybe, to be a helping hand in making someone else's. I am proud of what I have written so far, but "it is only on one page."

Edited by MikeRobinson

• 2 weeks later...