Your Ad Could Be Here

"american Songspace" Website

Here is a link to the "American Songspace" website. The site features an "Opportunities" page that announces the names of familiar musical performers and bands that are looking for songs submitted from "outside" the industry. Most of the artists appear to be working in the country/western genre.

http://www.americansongspace.com/opportunities

This is how the site advertises itself:

"American Songspace is an Inter-web subsidiary of American Songwriter magazine, specifically designed for songwriters - and other groups within the songwriting community, like music publishers - to network and collaborate with fellow songwriters.

The site provides an accessible platform for an artist's songs to be heard by end-user music industry personnel. American Songspace revolves around the craft and business of songwriting, and, in theory, will amount to more than posting your music someplace on the Internet.

The site consists of Interactive, user-submitted content. It is intended for amateur musicians, writers, singer/songwriters, bands, music supervisors, publishers, labels, A&R, advertising agencies, songpluggers, Performing Rights Organizations, studios, and other industry professionals."

If you would consider joining, make sure you read the "User Agreement" beforehand.

Anyone have any experience with this outfit? Advice? Warnings?

bluage

an Inter-web subsidiary of American Songwriter magazine, specifically designed for songwriters - and other groups within the songwriting community, like music publishers - to network and collaborate with fellow songwriters

I've been checking out American Songwriter Magazine regularly and quite like it compared to the rest of the field.

One big plus is that Paul Zollo ("Songwriters On Songwriting") is the man responsible.

So I view American Songspace as another sincere attempt to make a contribution.

And that's all I know...

Dear "tunesmith" & Lazz...

Thanks for the information. I get suspicious of ANY agency that claims to be interested in "helping" creative people to advance their careers. On the "Opportunities" page of the American Songspace site, the artists that they advertise as looking for songs are fairly heavyweight performers, often of "superstar" status, people like Keith Urban, Darius Rucker, etc. It's hard to believe that such vaunted musical personalities would be casting about the Internet for creative assistance, you know? Makes me think the website promoters are trying to put stars in the eyes of amateur songwriters for deceptive purposes.

Years ago when I was writing screenplays I solicited the services of an agency that purported to offer help to writers seeking to secure contacts within the film industry. The letter they sent to me in response to my inquiry was so slickly written that I immediately distrusted them. So, as a test of their sincerity, a week later I sent another inquiry under a different name and address and describing a screenplay written in an entirely different genre. Days later I got a another letter that used the exact same wording as the first one, praising the "originality" of my concept, extolling how eminently marketable my screenplay was, and exhorting me to sign-up with them -- and, get this -- before someone stole my idea. Juh-eee-sus!

bluage, beware

Edited by bluage

I get suspicious of ANY agency that claims to be interested in "helping" creative people to advance their careers

Quite right, too.