Your Ad Could Be Here

Great Video Mash-Ups

Sometimes you see some great editing job flying past - post any links here

Here's Neo, Robocop and Yoda battling it out - actually pretty well done.

Edited by Roflcopter

ok... I clicked and got a House casting session lol

Hey

Nicely done. No Yoda tricks :(

So what tools would have been used in order to do this? I assume the editor didn't have access to the green screen footage.

Cheers

John

Well, to begin with, Robo does not share that many frames with Neo - it's only a few. In order to get that done you use 'garbage mattes', which allow you to 'blank out' or mask parts of the image that you don't want. That allows for an underlying layer of footage to show through in part, so you get a blend of the two.

Creating Junk/Garbage Mattes

Mind you, if you see no movement of Robo, don't be surprised if it's just a still picture that's been overlaid - the eye is easily fooled, (especially if the action is elsewhere) and you would only really need this for real footage.

The thing that really sells the trick here is a good alteration of shots (where you actually only see Robo OR Neo) with a handful of shots where they do share the same frame, but even more important than that, is the *recolouring* of Robo, so he becomes Matrix-green.

In fact that's really well done here. If you look back at the old Robocop movies, he was way more blue than green. Modern digital colour-adjustment allows you to match the two with incredible fidelity, if you want.

I do have to give the guy credit here, he did an excellent job of it - it's something people can easily botch even in ordinary footage from different cameras, so you have the colours go all over the place from one frame to the next, which is pretty amateuristic, and very unneccessary these days.

But in this little caper it's done so well, you totally forget the footage is from separate movies, and that's a big part of the illusion already.

edit:

added link to tutorial

Edited by Roflcopter

• 4 weeks later...

This must win the prize for most original game mod - ARMA 2 with a dance script.

(could be the vid gets pulled because of the music track, but until then - have fun, I have the game, and it certainly made me laugh)

love it, i wonder how long that took

Oh, less time than you'd think. I guess he just grabbed that dance script from somewhere (think it's been around since ARMA 1, actually) so he just loaded up the game, and timed a few scenes to a music track - nicely done, tho. ;D

• 1 month later...