Your Ad Could Be Here

Your Favourite Unplugged Vids

Here's one of mine....

This song is 93 years old.

Marisa Monte is much younger.

"Carinhoso" (written by Pixinguinha around 1916/17) performed by Marisa Monte and Paulinho da Viola.

Hope this isn't too greedy but here's more of the great Paulinho, this time with Oswaldo Cruz on matchbox.

(Matchbox!!?? - yeah, but he's really good)

"O Sol Nascera" / "Jurar Con Lagrimas"

Excellent - the voice of Marisa Monte reminded me somewhat of the singer of this band, Luz Azul

you can listen to their CD online, or at least parts - great CD, regularly play it on my mp3 player.

Excellent - the voice of Marisa Monte reminded me somewhat of the singer of this band, Luz Azul

Oh yeah.

I see what you mean.

Thank you.

In return for that welcome delight, I offer Chano Dominguez "Oye Como Viene":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNnhNhsBcgQ

plus, staying around the same tonality, Concha Buika "mi Nina Lola":

Oooh, both excellent, although that Chano Dominguez one really grabbed me. :)

OK, bit more mainstream, but still excellent un-pluggedness - Radio by the Corrs. Beats the studio version by a mile and a half, easily:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbfCXquPvSA

• 2 weeks later...

Never5 been certain about this concept pf "unplugged" because, after all. they are all using electrickery, aren't they?

Otherwise we wouldn't have a video to look at.

I guess it means "live and direct".

I hope so.

Because this guy is definitely plugged in - but it is live and in real time.

Shenandoah - Bill Frisell

Never5 been certain about this concept pf "unplugged" because, after all. they are all using electrickery, aren't they?

Otherwise we wouldn't have a video to look at.

I guess it means "live and direct".

I hope so.

Because this guy is definitely plugged in - but it is live and in real time.

Nice one, Steve - that's really 'unplugged', yep.

@ Lazz:

Well, we wouldn't be watching it if not for our wooden satellites and paper networks :P

But it *is* cheating, a bit - IIRC the idea behind 'unplugged' was as barebones as possible - but let's indulge ourselves with stuff that even *if* you have the electronics, you'd still be hard put to get even close to the (live) performance:

Here's a younger Phil Keaggy showing off his Ebow skills:

Wow - that's three new names for me.

Kelly Jones quite reminds me of oor Thomas himself.

And Stand encourage me to think of Steve as well.

No idea what Rob's new contribution might indicate about his own music but, older or younger, Phil Keaggy sounds like someone I should know about.

Thanks to all.

But it *is* cheating, a bit - IIRC the idea behind 'unplugged' was as barebones as possible

I'm sure I've posted this before - still worth it though.

And almost as bare-bones as you can get.

Barebones? That's nekkid! :thumb23:

You wanted to know more about Phil? Amazing guitar player - he has a wiki entry, maybe check that for more extensive bg, but here's a couple of his best:

and he did get older a bit, as you can see in this one - but we can only wish to sound this good at that age, both in guitar skills and vox (also one of the best uses of loopbox you will ever see, I guess)

and he did get older a bit.... but we can only wish to sound this good at that age

There is an argument that way more than any and all other areas of creative endeavour, in music, other than those market-genres which tend to thrive most specifically on youthful passion, the pursuit of playing and composition seems a cumulative labor in which development of vocabulary & technique matures constantly and output just naturally improves with age - many senses and physical abilities might fade, but the music muscle works-out.

Joe Zawinul, Les Paul and Olivier Messiaen kept going right to the coda, and all doing great stuff. Elliot Carter is still active even at 101. Roy Haynes is 85 and still gigging and playing like you wouldn't believe possible. Jim Hall will be 80 at the end of this year and gets more experimental and 'out' as he becomes more stooped and bent. Hermeto (above) is 74 and even wilder and crazier than in his youth. Louis Andriessen is 71 and still innovating. Keith Jarrett is 65 and keeps on putting it out there better than ever. And just listen to those stunning later works of dead classical blokes like Bach, Beethoven, Verdi, Shostakovich, Liszt, Stravinsky, Strauss...

Seems to me the best people just keep growing and getting better.

Like this Phil Keaggy geezer - his skill with that looping technology is self-evident - but the 'feel' he has throughout seems to me like the product of joyous maturity that a youngster could never match.

Here's Karibu from the youthful Lionel Loueke - give him another few decades and he'll be even more astounding.