Your Ad Could Be Here

Pricing Ideas For Lessons?

austinmackert

After reading a blog here regarding practicing and taking lessons, I decided to finally inquire about instrument lessons at a local music center (piano/keys in particular). I am curious as to what the average pricing is (or should be) for lessons, and what I should or should not pay. This music center wants roughly $130 a month (one 30 minute lesson a week). Being around $40 a lesson, that seems kind of pricey to me. I have heard that lessons should run no more than $20 an hour (re: a half an hour), but I am not sure how true that is. I do know that the instructer this place is ready to pair me up with has 25+ years experience and still plays in public--would that be worth the extra money, or should I go on Craigslist and find a knowledgeable stay-at-home-Mom that charges less? I have a few days to decide, so any feedback or ideas are welcome. :)

Hey

I'm not up to speed on US pricing but it does seem a little on the high side, though the price you suggest is on the low side. I hope that is for 1 to 1 lessons? I'd have to say that I'd choose a teacher based upon their abilities to teach, their reputation and of course if they taught me not only the kind of music that I liked but also what i needed to grow as a guitarist more than price, but I know it is a factor.

Hey, thank you for the responses. I think I will do what was suggested here and go ahead and take a month's worth of lessons at this place. It seems pricey, but maybe I can do a month to see if I like it (or to see if it's worth the money). If it's not, I think I know someone else experienced that would be willing to give personal lessons at a better price (Probably around $20 an hour). :)

Edited by austinmackert

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

look , go get a an inexpensive guitar at a pawn shop or somewhere, you can always upgrade later if you like it , go to youtube , there are many guys there that have lessons on line , I know one or two , learn a song or two , see if it is for you if it is then go further with it ,but a good place to start , in a day or two your playing a real song , not the best way to learn but it gets your feet wet , and your not learning scales and such , you learn the strings and simple cords , if you don't like it ,your out the cost of the guitar , which you can always pawn or hang it on your wall, the guys online are pretty good but it is a place to start , if you really like it , go get those lessons and learn the craft

rock on