Your Ad Could Be Here

Begginner Recording

Hey I'm a student so I don't have much money at all and I'm looking for a very cheap and easy way of recording down some acoustic songs.

I just want something where I can get guitar down easy and then see what lyrics/vocals match with it.

I'm planning on getting a USB podcast mic soon which should be pretty simples but I don't have access to my computer ATM, is there any way of doing it without the use of a computer?

Thanks for the info. I think it will be best if i wait til i can get back to my normal computer and buy a podcast mic, that way i can get guitar and vocals down on seperate tracks and put them together.

I might get a recorder still though just for practicality and ease :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Noob

I've been using computer based recording equipment for years simply because I much prefer how it's organized compared to a hardware recorder (like the Tascam Portastudio 2488 I used to own) I now produce on an iMac using nothing more than Garage Band and while it doesn't support things like auto tune very well, it is more than enough for me as a high school student. I'd definitely recommend a computer system, my first software was Sony ACID 7 Home Studio and I got some great songs out of that. However I have to say if you're serious about music you will be needing a Mac. They process audio so much better than similar priced pcs do, I've literally got a $1500 Mac and a $1500 Sony desktop in the studio and there is simply no comparison. I'd say get a refurbished MacBook Pro and see how GarageBand works for you then consider upgrading to something like Cubase or Logic.

I've been using computer based recording equipment for years simply because I much prefer how it's organized compared to a hardware recorder (like the Tascam Portastudio 2488 I used to own) I now produce on an iMac using nothing more than Garage Band and while it doesn't support things like auto tune very well, it is more than enough for me as a high school student. I'd definitely recommend a computer system, my first software was Sony ACID 7 Home Studio and I got some great songs out of that. However I have to say if you're serious about music you will be needing a Mac. They process audio so much better than similar priced pcs do, I've literally got a $1500 Mac and a $1500 Sony desktop in the studio and there is simply no comparison. I'd say get a refurbished MacBook Pro and see how GarageBand works for you then consider upgrading to something like Cubase or Logic.

I wouldn't agree with the MAC thing at all... I served a year of my time in a Yamaha O2R96 -> PRO TOOLS studio, and it was an horrendous experience. I much prefer Cubase on PC.

I would imagine the problem is that your Sony PC has a shit soundcard in it. The onboard soundcards that ship with a PC are basically kids toys. They are, however, very cheap to replace.

Audio Processing is mickey mouse stuff in computer terms. Any PC with more than a GIG of ram and a Gigahertz processor, that is to say any PC built in the last ten years, is more than capable of handling any demands that a computer based multitrack studio would place on it. I would recommend buying a twenty four bit audio interface though, which you'd pick up for well under a hundred US dollars.

You can buy a decent PC for £300 if you shop around and with a £50.00 24 bit MAudio Delta sound card it'll do anything you need.

... and the Mac/PC debate goes on! :D In regards to Shane's query, there are many methods of recording ideas whether purely to record so that a spontaneous idea is not forgotten or to create a demo or final production of your music. Mobile phones offer apps that allow multi-track recording - although this won't be of a very good quality it's a quick way of capturing an idea wherever you are (as is a Dictaphone) - even if you splash out on sequencing software, quality mics etc, you won't necessarily sit down and be flooded with creative ideas so hold on to all the lyrics, melodies and chord chops you've come up with (even if you've woken up the next day thinking it's rubbish) and it will surprise you how these can help tie up songs you're working on.

Stu

Not that I particularly care for the software package myself, but there is always Reaper. It's free for 30 days, and costs $60 after that. That's a pretty darn good deal. There's quite a following. I cut my teeth on Pro Tools 8 and now use Presonus Studio One Pro which I like a lot better. But the latter two get pricy, and you still need a computer. But for recording a quality hand portable recorder would do the job for getting down ideas and stuff, but if you want to take them further you'll need more than that.