Your Ad Could Be Here

Tricking Out

Customizing an electric guitar is something I've always wanted to do. The question is how, and what.

My plan is to buy the cheapest guitar I can find, preferably not that much of a piece of s**!. Maybe a fender Squire. What I would do is sand the finish off, and also the paint, and then mask everything that wouldn't be painted. And then of course paint it with a base color. But what I would wanna do is do this, and using some frisk film, I would put a graphic. For example, if the color were black, I could get a simple little skull and paint it on there in white. The point is to customize it to the maximum level to see how tricked out a guitar can get >:D

Other ideas would be to carve out things on the head, messing with the fretboard, messing with body components like knobs, pickshields, etc. I don't really have a question on the specific methods, although if you do wanna suggest something I'd appreciate it, but what do you think about things like this?

I think it's pretty cool. I have a bunch of guitar parts, but never actually got around to the building stage... I think for the first attempt I would try to find a junker at a garage sale or something. If the paint job is successful you could always improve playability by replacing the neck and hardware. Another option would be to buy just the parts. I think Carvin used to sell a build-it-yourself guitar kit, I'm sure there are other reputable makers that do the same. That would probably save you some money and some sanding...

• 3 weeks later...