Your Ad Could Be Here

What Step-By-Step Process Can Be Used To Write Interesting Lyrics?

• Noob

Can anyone offer any advice on the actual process lyricists use to turn an idea of a theme into actual lyrics? For example, would you make a list of imagery to use and then sort the images into interesting phrases, then put them in the right order and link them together? Or would you just right a song line-by-line until it is finished?

I have not personally found a "process" that reliably works... I compare it more to how a craftsman views his tools and materials. I think it's better to start off with a hunk of material and whittle it down, rather than starting with a lot of little lumps of clay and trying to make them stick together. Having said that, I do sometimes find that it's like a scavenger hunt, other times it's a jigsaw puzzle... So, generating ideas on the front side is something I do find helpful, whether it's brainstorming on imagery (like you mentioned) or maybe I come up with a hook and then try to think of rhymes, similar-sounding words & phrases, oppositions, juxtapositions, and see what shakes loose...

It varies from person to person. I'm not by any means an expert when it comes to songwriting (or anything really, but that lies beyond the point), but my 1/2 cents wroth of advice would be to stop looking for the perfect "process" and start writing. Just pick a method to write, and go, if it doesn't work switch it up until you find what works for you.

There are as many ways to approach the lyric writing process as their are people writing them. I try various methods, they all work to some degree, and only the actual writing is truely mine. I've learned all the rest by reading and listening.

The simple approach has escaped me 99% of the time. Very little seems to come out of a conscience stream of thoughts directly onto paper. as to your question;

would you make a list of imagery to use and then sort the images into interesting phrases, then put them in the right order and link them together

////

I guess if you picked out some interesting phrases and then found words to rhyme with them. You can describe textures, smells, etc. But starting with them is indeed a good place to start. Connecting nouns and adjectives, avoiding cliche rhymes, using appropriate language for your audience, understanding meter helps a whole bunch, but to seriously approach an answer to your question, one would need to write a book, and so many have already been written.

I’ve read about a technique of just sitting down and writing anything that pops into your head—and doing that 10 minutes a day (and no longer than that) every day when you first wake up in the morning, and that will generate raw material to shape into songs. But I really lack the self-discipline to stick with that routine. Plus, if I don’t at least have a clear aim as to where I want to go with it, I’m not very motivated to write.

So what usually works for me—starting with a title. That suggests a possible direction—which will usually start me thinking up a concept or story-line. Then I’ll start writing the lyrics. As long as I have an idea where I’m going, and why I’m going there, it’s easier for me to finish.

• 2 weeks later...

Writing lyrics differs from person to person. Me personally alot of songs I'll end up sculpting. I mean I know what I want said a part A but that's usually it to start. While writing Part B I might get an Idea for part D. I will also hit part b and know what I want to say but not exactly how to say it so I'll write down what I want to say and move on to something else. I'll come back to it at some point but....

• 3 weeks later...

Here lately I have been having some success in writing from my subconscious.I pretty much just take my guitar and even if you don't play an instrument this can still work as long as you can hum or whistle.I go looking for sounds and a flow of sound,and when I get that I just start throwing out gibberish in my head of different vowel and consonant sounds and blend it to what I'm playing and as I do that,words take shape and sometimes meanings are a bit ambiguous,but at times it is surprising on reflection how certain events can be seen in those unrelated ramblings with a clarity you wouldn't think of.I have also found that in doing that it has helped me from the cardinal sin of lyric or poetry writing of going too inside in your description to where the only people that can relate to it are you and whoever else went through it with you.When I let my subconscious take over and throw lines out it naturally makes the story a bit more vague and thus relatable to alot of different people.

• 1 month later...

There is no fixed procedure to song writing. As mentioned by many, it's only a matter of self preference. As for me, I like to see the bigger picture first before zooming into the little details. For a start, I'd jolt down any words and phrases (relating to the song's theme) that comes to my mind. Thereafter single out what might be useful and then further refine from there.

I find that great ideas comes to me when I'm most relaxed. That's why i tend to compose songs mostly at night, just before bedtime. :sleep1:

Edited by Alberta