Your Ad Could Be Here

Mab In The House

MABBO

?Hello,

I am Marc-Alan Barnette, or "MAB". I am a singer songwriter and professional music coach based in Nashville, Tn. I work with writers and artists from all over the world both who come to town and in workshops and seminars across the country and in Canada. I found this site today and thought I would see if I could offer some perspective for those of you who might be interested in the music industry from a Nashville perspective. I will enjoy reading your comments and seeing if I can help you.

As a writer, I have had songs recorded by Shelby Lynne, John Berry, and David Ball. As a performer I have opened shows for the Charlie Daniels Band, Tanya Tucker, and many others in the country field. As a teacher/mentor, two of my former clients, Frankie Ballard on Warner Brothers, and Steel Magnolia, on Big Machine records are enjoying success in the country music field. I am happy to answer questions and participate in your forums.

Thanks for letting me be a part of your group.

MAB

Hey Marc.....nice intro & welcome to the site! :thumbup: Oooohhhh, I like Shelby Lynne

Tom

Thanks Tom. How are you today? What can you tell me about this site? How long have you been here? Do you like it? How is the best way to proceed? Tell me about yourself.

MAB

Hey Mab, Welcome to Songstuff :) I can tell you loads about this site. I've been here 11 years. I'm sure there's an exit here somewhere. I love it :) The best way to proceed depends on what you want to achieve (failing that, fill out your About Me page in your profile, add your music site links to your board signature etc). Oh and I started Songstuff so I might be a tiny bit prejudiced ;) Other than that I'm a musician and songwriter, music techie etc. :grindance:

Thank you John,

I am looking all over to find a way to do a profile but just can't find anything. What I want is simply to help writers. I deal with the music industry every day and particularly people unfamiliar with the industry can have some pretty far fetched imaginations when it comes to what it is and isn't. I provide that education to the best of my ability.

MAB

Thank you John,

I am looking all over to find a way to do a profile but just can't find anything. What I want is simply to help writers. I deal with the music industry every day and particularly people unfamiliar with the industry can have some pretty far fetched imaginations when it comes to what it is and isn't. I provide that education to the best of my ability.

MAB

Hey MAB,

Pretty interested in what you mean as far as "far fetched imaginations." I don't doubt that it's the truth, just wondering what in particular you might mean, if anything.

Either way, have you spent most of your time in the country industry?

Eager to know,

Neighbor Dave

Dave,

I spent the first half of my career in the 80's era of corporate rock. Journey, Foreigner, Styxx, Loverboy, style original band called 24 KARAT, out of Birmingham Alabama. In March of 1984 we won a National battle of the bands (kind of American Idol of it's day) called the MILLER HIGH LIFE ROCK TO RICHES' NATIONAL TALENT SEARCH. In the same contest in 1981, the second runner up was a band called TWISTED SISTER, and in 1982, the second runner up was a guy named JON BON JOVI. So it was a pretty big deal at the time. Just the winners never did anything because they were tied to a record deal that never went anywhere. The second runners up got a LOT of attention but were not signed so open to other deals. Those two did pretty well.

We languished around till 1986 and broke up.

In 1987, rock music started changing to the "Hair Band of the week" and then into the Seattle "Grunge" music and the era of "Nirvana" and depressing rock. At the same time, Country started getting more positive and closer to where I was. Alabama, Exile, Lee Greenwood, were closer to what I was interested in. I met someone who had lived in Nashville for 10 years and had some success, so I realized country was the new happening. I moved April Fools day of 1988, and made the contact on the first night that got me the Shelby Lynne cut.

Along the way had publishing deals, record deals and every kind of deal you can imagine that just didn't work out. So in 2000 when one publishing deal ran out of money, and another was screwed up by a well intentioned, but misguided lawyer, I was asked by NSAI (Nashville Songwriters Association International) to start mentoring their regional workshops around the country and Canada. That led to 6 years of touring and doing workshops, then a huge amount of people coming to Nashville to do my "Songwriter tours". Which are personal one or multi day workshops based around that particular writer or artist.

That has led to other people getting writing and publishing deals and my own songs being tossed around with dozens of artists. I am now a personal trainer for songwriters and artists. That should bring us up to date. I work with about 300 people a year through my workshops, seminars, personal tours. I have two main artists, Steel Magnolia, and Frankie Ballard, currently on the country charts, and several others "in the bullpen" with publishing and record deals, that will be coming out over the next couple of years.

What I mean by "far reaching expectations" is that everyone has a family member, friend, teacher, that tells them how good they are and they should move to Nashville. Many in areas like LA and New York,find that the music scene has all but dissapeared and they all seem to make their way to Nashville because it "looks easy." The reality is that it is incredibly difficult, much harder than it looks, a very closed society where everyone knows every one and it takes years to learn to navigate that world. It is fraught with mine fields that can blow up on you and you will never know it. It is very established and actually functions much better than most people ever realize. Country music continues to gain in popularity and market share which is why you are seeing Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift and others on every National magazine, television show and others. The market continues to expand. Most other markets in music have contracted.

So I deal with a lot of people that really have no clue of what they are getting into and more times than not do it the wrong way. Most of the time they come to me and I have to do "damage control' The reason I participate in forums like this is to do damage control before people have screwed their careers up and never know it. Makes them better citizens and aware of things they need to know. It helps with patience. It is one third songwriting, and one third therapy. And if I do it right, give people proper information, I am paid for what I do. I get paid to write songs, teach songwriting and performance and the "practical application of the music business." Kind of a lot of fun. I don't rip anyone off, don't have to look over my shoulder and do a lot of good.

That is my deal.

MAB

• Like 1

Thank you John,

MAB

Here is a link to set up your profile:

http://forums.songstuff.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=members&area=aboutme

Well it's good to have you aboard. Helping artists is what Songstuff is all about, and often coming a similar perspective. On that note I am always interested in possible new writers for Songstuff. Should you be interested in discussing it please drop me a private message. :) If not, no harm done.

Reading the post before this was interesting. I think it is fair to say that many modern musicians have a naive view of the music industry. Many have not gone through any form of preparation for working (or not working) in the industry, and their expectation is derived from the music industry as depicted in the tabloid press and TV. As such it is a skewed, invented and re-invented fantasy. Beyond a select few performance arts and arts management courses there is a gaping void in the available education for artists. But hey, I'm just telling you what you already know. I'll shush up now and let you get on with your intro thread :) .