Your Ad Could Be Here

How Do I Get My Voice Back?

I had a cold about eight weeks ago, and still have a sore throat.

When I sing my range and vloume is severely reduced and after a few minutes, particularly when singing higher notes, I start coughing. This used to happen before the illness sometimes, but only after a considerable time or when I put my voice under stress.

To give you an idea, when I try and sing loud enough to cover the volume of my acoustic guitar I end up coughing and being unable to continue.

I was diagnosed with acid reflux a few years ago, and changed my diet which kept things under control, but have been taking acid suppressants for the past two weeks in case this was the unbeknown root cause, but there has been no change.

So my questions are:

1) Is there a risk I have damaged my voice permanently?

2) What can I do to help things get better?

3) Should I take some lessons?

I am seeing my doctor on Monday about the soreness, but am genuinely concerned that my voice may never be as good again.

Any opinions appreciated.

1) Is there a risk I have damaged my voice permanently?

I myself, am not a doctor, so I cannot say. If you suffer from acid reflux, chances are that something has been irritated, any cold medicine may have also had an effect. As to whether or not it is permanent, I will not say as I just don't know.

The best thing would be to wait until the doctor tells you what is happening, meaning don't sing or use your voice aggressively (not using it at all would be extreme, but could go a long way). If there is something permanent, there may be therapies, furthering the damages will only hinder your progress. Also, honey is supposedly good for sore throats, and it tastes good too. This site has some tips for lubrication of your throat, I don't know if it's credible or not, but you can take a look and see what you think:

http://isabellasnow.hubpages.com/hub/Tips-For-Singers-and-Public-Speakers-Throat-Lubrication-

Again, a diagnosis from a medical professional will provide the definitive answer. If it's just aggravated acid reflux or something that is remaining from the cold (which can happen), the best solution would be laying off the voice, just let it recuperate. If it is something permanent, there may be therapies to lessen the burden, but it all depends on the what and the severity.

I wish you all the best,

Daniel

• Like 1

Hey

Good post Daniel.

I have suffered from acid reflux and it certainly irritates things but when it settles your voice should improve. Flare ups still happen sometimes. I find that cutting out coffee and fizzy drinks, and reducing fat intake (ie no hard to digest foods), improves the acid reflux and I make sure I am properly hydrated made a difference too. I regularly gargle with warm, salted water and gradually irritation reduces. There is a good chance that coughing during your cold and taking cold medicines have triggered this. Like Daniel I would recommend not singing for now and keeping the volume of your voice down.

Like Daniel I am not a doctor I can only speak of my own experience. Your doc should be able to help. Perhaps when Cheryl sees this post she can make some suggestions.

Cheers

John

Update:

Seen the doc today and have been told the following:

1) Likely cause is the combination of acid reflux and the cold, irritated by the coughing and singing.

2) I have been given some throat spray to take every 3 hours.

3) New prescription for acid suppressant pills.

4) Rest my voice for two weeks - no singing, no shouting.

5) Had some blood tests to rule out any other issues

6) Back for another check up in two weeks.

You could be doctors!!!

Dear Gazebo,

Wow; before you even told me about the acid reflux, the thought crossed my mind that this was the cause. You

need to go on a strict alkaline diet, to re-stabilize. Acid reflux is horrible. I have suffered from it, too (still am). The

acid suppressants aren't great, because after a while you stomach is unable to function by itself, without the pills.

I'm trying to kick the stomach pills, as I write. More on that, later... But first, here are the answers to your questions

(and thanks for asking!)

So my questions are:

1) Is there a risk I have damaged my voice permanently? NO; if it's acid-reflux the larynx area can and will regenerate

itself in 6-8 weeks - but STEER CLEAR of all acidic foods for that amount of time!

See above; and drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Do NOT vocalize; but rather practice soft sighs. Speak above

your larynx, if possilble; in the cheek bone area. Don't talk very much... and once again: hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

YES, by all means. PLEASE do take lessons - but not from an amateur teacher; find an extremely knowledgeable one.

GOOD LUCK! - Cher

Cheryl, thanks for your advice.

I don't like the idea of being reliant on tablets forever, so have spent some time looking up diet info, but sadly no curry, no caffeine, no tomatoes, no alcohol. That's not good, but I am aware that some foods affect me worse than others. I am almost relieved if it is just acid, though, as it is repairable.

Thanks again - it is appreciated.