Your Ad Could Be Here

What gauge a medium pick is supposed to be?

Hi all,

In the past, things were simple, you had Soft, Medium, and Heavy picks.

Now you have these milimeter things, and I find it difficult to find something suitable.

I use the "normal" triangular picks. In the past, it was either Gibson or Fender.

At the moment, I use .75mm Luminous Classic, but they're just a little tiny too soft.

So, any suggestion? (and I don't like Nylon at all).

Also, what kind of picks do you use yourself?

Didier

Hi Didier

I don't know how much help I can be. I use a red (very light) sharkfin plectrum for strumming, a white sharkfin for songs that require a mix of strumming and picking on an acoustid and a stone (yes a stone) for all electric guitar.

Why a stone? Well it's very hard, shaped a bit like a pick and very smooth so it glides nicely over the strings. I find I can get a good range of tones from it too. I have one stone I mainly use but all of the stone picks I have have one thing in common, they were all gathered from a beach where the water had polished them very smooth indeed.

I've been using stones as lead picks for about 16 years. It was just a moment of inspiration. Since I started using them I've tried various other picks and always been disappointed. Before that, I used an Eros pick. I don't even know if you can get them anymore!

Cheers

John

• 4 weeks later...

Didier,

I still use the triangular picks; like you used to. They are black and made by Gibson. THE GAUGES WERE INACCURATE though. eg:- Sometimes a medium was closer to a heavy.

I use a micrometer to check string gauges and sometimes picks too.

I have experimented a lot (and still do).

The most important thing I discovered about picks is that they MUST COMPLEMENT YOUR GUITAR SET-UP.

A set of light gauge strings with a low action and loosely tensioned feel needs a lighter gauge pick.

If you have a harder more agressive touch you probably have more resistance in the set-up, a heavier pick works much better then. At least it does for me.

Sometimes a medium was closer to a heavy.

True, that's why the new "precise" picks are a bit of a bother for me.

The most important thing I discovered about picks is that they MUST COMPLEMENT YOUR GUITAR SET-UP.

True also. I know exactly my guitar setup (and strings, that's why I insisted on Gibson strings).

I have bought some Martin medium picks, I will compare them with the Luminous classics.

Thanks for the interesting comments.

Didier

Didier,

My pleasure.

At the moment, I use .75mm Luminous Classic, but they're just a little tiny too soft.

I for one would be interested in what picks impress you or settle with (I cant seem to find the old triangular Gibsons anymore).

Good luck

• 1 month later...
I for one would be interested in what picks impress you or settle with (I cant seem to find the old triangular Gibsons anymore).

Hi Rudy,

I did a "comparative test" with a few picks (same guitar, same amp, etc.)

Martin M 0.73 mm. It's incredible how 0.02 mm can make a difference. First, I thought I had a problem with my amp, because the sound was so thin... In addition, it's the slipiest pick I ever tested. So the Martin is definitely discarded as a replacement for the Gibson.

Luminous Classic 0.75 mm. Ha, I've got the sound back. Very precise, which is a plus.

Frender Medium (yes, I still have one of those). More powerfull than the Martin, but a litttle less than the Luminous Classic or the Gibson. The way the "spring" works is a little too "plastic" for me (compared with the Gibson or the Luminous).

Gibson Medium (the last one I've got in "mint" condition). In the same league as the Luminous Classic in term of power, clearly less precise, but basses are more rounded, and more pleasing to my ears.

Conclusion: if you're looking for a replacement for a "Medium" pick, it has to be (at least) 0.75mm. I will (time permiting and depending on availibility) try 0.76 and 0.77. So far, as long as I can find a constant supply, I will stick with the Luminous Classic.

Didier

Didier,

Sorry for the late reply, been absent for a while & lost some threads.

Luminous Classic 0.75 mm. Ha, I've got the sound back. Very precise, which is a plus.

Glad you got something you can work with. I will be sure to give these a try.

atb Rudi

Sorry for the late reply, been absent for a while & lost some threads.

Hi Rudi,

You're not late, I posted this only a few hours ago!

If someone should apologise for lack of presence on these boards these last months, it should be me.

But, anyway, KillerJoe is filling the gap quite nicely it seems (no offence meant) :)

Didier

Hey Didier!

Does the lack of your presence mean you have been busy creating new music?  :)

Hi Steve,

I wish :)

Apart from personnal issues (we all have some them at times), it's true I've been working on something related to music. Not exactly "new music", but something new (at least for me).

I'll let you (I mean, the board) informed when it is ready, but of course I will have to inform the "fans" first.

Didier