Your Ad Could Be Here

But I did make a killer dance-kickdrum sound once

...by taking a big thick hardback book ( something about electronics and very clever things ), opening it at the middle page, and snapping it shut again. Sampled that into the S900 ( blush ) and then layered some round and very detuned SH101 sine samples to give it some low-Hz serious air. Worked brilliantly.

OK John, maybe synthesis isn't dead...

BS

ps. hey all those rockers up on ChatStuff can kiss my 44.1KHz ass - synths RULE! Wooooah!! Where's me whistle ?  ;D ;D

Ha ha ha  ;D  ;D  ;D

I consider an instument to be like a piece of music. Good music is around for a long time. I've had my guitar for over 25 years... How about your thing? (Scoll down to see what it was called) jx10... I expect there'll be a new one out next week with better nobs or a new sound..... that will be out of date in another 6 months.  ;)

;D  ;D  ;D

jx10...I expect there'll be a new one out next week with better nobs or a new sound..... that will be out of date in another 6 months.    

Ouch!  ;) Well U picked the wrong guy to boogie with on this one!  :D

I'm a diehard CLASSIC synth fan. The older the better! My Roland JX10 is around 18 years old, and my oldest synth is a 1980 Roland SH101.

I'd love to own older classics like PPG wave, Prophet 5, Minimoog or something -  but it's so damn expensive to buy a good one. ( Probably even more expensive than a 1978 Les Paul.  ;) )

So yes you're right that there will be a new one out next week  "with better nobs or a new sound..... " - there have been 18 years of "better" synths since the JX10, but I love it as an instrument. I know it inside out. I build all my own sounds with it. I can tailor a patch *exactly* as I want it. If I were to buy the latest and greatest every  6 months, I'd only ever end up scratching the surface of the instrument's capabilities and probably just end up using "tweaked" presets.

And anyway I only picked my JX10 cos it's big and heavy ( about 15 kg!! ) for ass-kicking!  :D

BS

ps. I hope you mean "better KNOBS"!

Rudi - do you mean monophonic?

The JX10 was just after that era. One of the early polyphonic analogue synths that was very popular in the mid 80's. It had very editable parameters and 128 patches. It was quite revolutionary in that it used digitally controlled oscillators ( DCO's ) rather than VCOs ( voltage controlled ). They didn't drift out of pitch, and you still got the warmth of analogue.

I think the JX10 retailed at about 2 grand when it came out in 1985. 2 grand would almost buy you a new car in 1985!  :D

Leap back another 10 years or so and you'd find the polyphony didn't come cheap. Most affordable synths were indeed monophonic then.

BS

I did mean nobs...  :D

OK as our resident synthy person, would you say that the new breed of softsynths are as good as hardware? Better? Worse? What ?  I would like to get into soft synths a bit more, but it all seams a bit complicated and Im not sure Ive got enough power with my present setup (1ghz Athlon 512mb ram)

Dude that's the question I'm asking myself too!

As I said, I'm really old school. Mostly because I've been doing this "synth" thang for about 20 years now. Before PCs even existed!

But I'd say my view on soft synths probably goes along with what I said in my last post - it's just "another" synth that will take a long time to learn. I'm looking at ABSYNTH because I'm curious, but I think it would take a long long time to regard that as MY instrument.

Git Down!

( sorry got some funky music on the speakers right now! )

BS

Monophonic is the correct term on this board

Huh !! You're only sayin that cause your the Forum Admin..

I say we should put it to the vote!

All those in favour of Monaural, dont do anything...

All those in favour of monophonic, please write to the Hutton inquiry stating why you think Britain should withdraw from the European Union. (In 12 words or less)

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D   ;D  ;D  ;D

Sod it ... Im gonna keep playing in Bi-directional