Your Ad Could Be Here

A Quick Intro...

Yodelgoat

I am always composing and recording my own music and I'm looking for someplace to perhaps find a little inspiration, talk about why an old man would still be composing music after 30+ years. I'm not selling anything here, just would like to talk to others who may be up to the same thing, perhaps talk a little technology, recording methodology, songwriting skills, lyrics,- whatever. I have been doing this for a long time and have released material from the early 80's onward. Not really interested in creating CD's anymore, but love creative process. At this point I seriously believe that the "industry" side of music is a broken business model. I have an ongoing distribution agreement with a label, but I've decided to just write music without commercial consideration and certainly I would advise anyone to avoid going the traditional label route. Anyway plenty of time to discuss that. I just wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone is interested in music- and songwriting/composition part - in other words... the important parts.

Edited by Yodelgoat

One of the reasons for signing up here is to see if I cant get more motivated to actually finish a song. I have over 2 hours of mostly completed music, that I have not been able to get done in over 5 years.

Over the past 5 years I've been building a studio in my barn including building an acoustic drum kit that one day I hope, will actually sound good. So far its been less than what I'd like to hear. Not completely terrible, just not as good as I need to get it before it is used on one of my songs.

One thing I have learned over the years is I hate finishing a song, and then later realize I should have done better - not Could have done, but "should" have done better. In 2005 I finished an album using programmed drums, and it got picked up for distribution by a label, - I find myself wishing I had used real drums now, and I'll probably redo the drums on that album just for my own pleasure, once I have the sound down.

I really enjoy creating music, I work out of my home and often pick up my guitar when things get slow during the day. I'm always composing long songs that are more like soundtracks than a normal 4 minute long song. I love epic music. Over the years I have written many short songs that I was trying to turn into radio hits. I have discovered that I'm not destined to be a hit songwriter - if such a thing even exists anymore, so rather than follow the normal models of writing commercial music - I write music that is more free flowing - 10 to 25 minutes long. More like Music was before the advent of radio, when you made songs to fit between commercials. Classical music followed longer - and more complex musical structures. I like applying that to Rock/folk/whatever themed music - I guess that makes me a "progressive music" songwriter. Though I prefer melodies over a series of oddly arrainged time signatures and notes played by odd, but superbly talented musicians.

I do have some samples of my songs from 2005 at: www.myspace.com/jaugernautad

Edited by Yodelgoat