Your Ad Could Be Here

Alesis MkII Reference Monitors

Hey guys,

I own a studio in Texas and I have tons of gear, so I'll try to ease Mr. Moderator's pain by posting reviews here regularly.

I produce and engineer all types of music from country to rap, and I own a small independent record label. I also do acoustical consulting.

Today I'll be reviewing the Alesis MkII powered monitors. I have had a pair of these for about 3 yrs now, and they have served me very well.

The monitors are bi-amplified, meaning that each speaker box contains 2 amps - one for the woofer and one for the tweeter. The amp for the woofer is 75 watts, while the tweeter is powered by a 25 watt amp.

The woofer is made of lightweight carbon fiber. The tweeter is of the silk dome variety, and is ferrofluid cooled.

There are two ports on the face of each speaker which can be plugged if necessary to accomidate room size and monitor placement.

These monitors are one of the best investments I have ever made. They have absolutely remarkable frequency response - (+ or - 2dB from 50Hz to 20KHz).

I can mix on them for hours before experiencing any signs of ear fatigue.

The only gripe I have is I think they should be a little more powerful. While they are perfect for mixing at comfortable levels, sometimes you just wanna CRANK IT UP! Especially when playing back a master of a rap song for a client. I guess I'l just have to find me some good mid-fields to impress the customers with! ;D

Helicon!

Thanks! I can feel the pain lessening as I type... ;D

Seriously though, thanks!

Cheers

John

Studio monitors have a very flat frequency response that let you hear exactly what your music sounds like, while stereo speakers are actually hyped at the top and bottom frequencies to enhance the highs and lows.

Monitors are made specifically for mixing and mastering music and are designed with features specific to that purpose.

If you try to mix with hi-fi speakers, many times they will mask problems with your mix, and you will experience ear fatigue after only a short time of listening.

With monitors, your mixes will translate better over a variety of speakers and listening environments.

Thank you for the answer Helicon. I'm trying to find some specs on the net concerning frequencies and other figures for both kinds speakers to compare. I imagine that high-end stereo speakers are not handicapped by this flaw in design? I can't imagine that such technology is exclusive to monitor speakers? I lack the proper documentation.

Marc,

The reason hi-fi speakers are made the way they are made is the manufacturer wants to make them sound appealing to the common consumer. Unfortunately, the common consumer has somehow given manufacturers the impression that what they like is overpowering bass frequencies, and enhanced high frequencies. So the manufacturers build the hi-fi speakers with a built-in EQ curve that boosts bass and treble freqs.

When they do that, you can't tell how you need to mix your song because you can't even hear what it really sounds like! And I've already mentioned that by boosting those frequencies, it greatly increases the strain put on the ears of the listener and causes ear fatigue.

Good review Chris. Some good points made as well, thanks.