Your Ad Could Be Here

Is Anyone (Or Have You Been) Involved In Online Radio

Hi, I'm putting this here because radio is a part of the biz.

So is there anyone on the forums who is or has been involved in an online radio station?

Did you setup a station?

Did you have a job with a station?

Did the station run ads?

How did they choose the music?

Did it earn money?

Were they open to indie artists?

Basically, if you've had any experience at all starting a radio station, working for a radio station, getting music played on a radio station, setting up the IT part (softwares etc) - absolutely any dealings with, on any basis or level, please post your detailed experiences below.

I'm not asking do you listen to online radio. I'm asking have you had any involvement in setting up, working with (in the ad sales, IT, DJ'ing (whatever) departments or getting your music promoted and/or played on an online radio station, please relay your experiences, what your involvement was, was it good/bad etc etc.

I'm also asking for any tips and tricks you know of - eg for making a station earn, how to attract more listeners, IT fixes, shoutcast vs icecast, how to attract advertisers, how to promote the station and where, - anything.

But please, if you have had no involvement in an online radio station but you have ideas and suggestions, I'd prefer you not to post/answer. I'd prefer to keep this post as a factual and life experience related post.

If someone kindly offers info and you have a question or two, debate/ask away :)

I've had some experience of editing work for broadcast on an online radio station. It was rather humdrum work really, taking out stuff like coughing, pauses, spluttering and stammering. I've worked on corporate presentations for online streaming as well and edited in jingles to broadcasts.

Like Tom, I'm still owed royalty money and not holding my breath waiting on it's being paid. That said, the corporate work does pay pretty well to be fair.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...