Your Ad Could Be Here

Dual Boot BAD

I had installed a dual boot system in order to keep my Pro-Tools version working. The other day a Friend came over and we decided to record some stuff, but when I tried to log into my win98 it was nowhere to be found. "Cannot find win.com" was the message, I looked at my config.sys and other system boot files and found them to be blank. I don't know what happened as my 98 was not set up for internet and my XP has good virus S/W. Pro-Tools now has an upgrade for my set up to include a version for XP, but I lost all my old files. :huh: I might be able to save some, but I will definetly lose a lot of stuff. :angry: Dual Boot BAD!!!

hey mr nightwolf

try this forum thread. you may still get to win 98 by the bios as it sounds like xp uses NFTS files and win 98 uses FAT16 so your 98 partion could be hidden in the bios ....

goodluck mate

http://forums.vnunet.com/thread.jsp?forum=...duel+boot#10047

nigel

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nige

Did you write that in Welsh? Cos that's how close I got to understanding it! :lol:

John

What a sickener! Hope you recover your stuff

Alistair

I had installed a dual boot system in order to keep my Pro-Tools version working.  The other day a Friend came over and we decided to record some stuff, but when I tried to log into my win98 it was nowhere to be found. "Cannot find win.com" was the message, I looked at my config.sys and other system boot files and found them to be blank. I don't know what happened as my 98 was not set up for internet and my XP has good virus S/W. Pro-Tools now has an upgrade for my set up to include a version for XP, but I lost all my old files. :huh:  I might be able to save some, but I will definetly lose a lot of stuff.  :angry: Dual Boot BAD!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just few days before I was looking solution for a similar problem, and it was quite easy to find; there was some boot-ini examples on microsoft's own support, and that is just about all you need...

MS support

If you try with google using words "boot- ini" you find a lot of information about this B)

PC problems like those are nightmerish. Is there no way to retreive the "lost" files, Nightwolf? This reminds me to make some backups of vital files on my computer (music files!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, when I was facing this latest virus- thing which force me to re-install my XP- Pro, I find out few interesting things; what I did was a boot from the XP-CD, and because it didn't give me a opportunity to fix that old installation, I choose to make a new one in same directory which old version were. That work ok, and I get the windows running with no time at all...but without anything which I have with old version; all programs was gone from a start- menu...So I start some investigation...I find out that old user files was kept in order in different places, and when I move them in some default folders which new installation have made, I did get just about all my old things back very easily...So just explore your machine, and there may be a change to get old stuff back without any sweat; folder "documents & settings" is good place to start 8)

Thank you for everyones input and sympathy. I tried a fix that locked up my pc and I had to ghost the harddrive. I lost a lot of newer stuff, but my older stuff is still hidden away on a FAT32 drive that I will have to rescue at some point. Right now I'm just happy to be rolling again.

Peace,

John

Thank you for everyones input and sympathy. I tried a fix that locked up my pc and I had to ghost the harddrive. I lost a lot of newer stuff, but my older stuff is still hidden away on a FAT32 drive that I will have to rescue at some point. Right now I'm just happy to be rolling again.

Peace,

John

Unlucky John

I suppose at least your older material is there. In the days before CDR, and you could basically back up to floppies, I lost 3 years worth of work when my hard disk fried. I was gutted. I know I could have used the floppies, but to be honest I would have need about 300 of them, and I didn't have the cash! Or I thought the time...

A sad tale I'm sure but losing you work is REALLY frustrating.

Olggu, sorry you had to re-format. I feel responsible for the whole sad sorry hacking thing, after all, I coded the site (Ok not the forum, but there you go). I know there's feck all I could have done, but I still feel responsible. Obviously I'm glad you're up and running again (I believe Rudi's machine is still offline).

John I hope you get your material back soon!

Cheers

John

• Noob

@Nightwolf

Have a look here http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm

it sounds like it might be what you need. They might have a demo that you can try out - sometimes the demos don't let you save your stuff, but if your old data is still there you'll know for sure. Or do a Google on: data recovery software.

Make sure you back up anything you want to keep from the XP system before you do anything - just in case! Also have a look at getting a DVD burner, they're pretty cheap now and you can save nearly 10 times as much stuff than on a CD.

The "dual boot" part of your system seems to be working because it is looking for win.com, XP boots with NTDETECT.COM and a thing called ntldr. It just sounds like maybe the "Boot Sector" of you FAT32 partition has been corrupted - that just means that the "Index" has been torn out of the book but all the "Pages" are still intact. If it is you might be able to check it with http://www.ptdd.com/fixboot.htm which might be easier to use. Anyway good luck with it.

cheers

Ken

Why YOU silly FOOL!?!?!?!?!!

Yer soft little arse ever heard a tiny little proggie called "GHOST""?

Well have ye?

Aw, bugger!

Anywee, that needs a bit of explaining, and I AINT gonna do it 'eere, and NOT NOW!

H.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had a Ghost version from the original Xp install, but didn't get around to ghosting a newer one. Some of the research I did indicated that ghost cannot do a dual doot system anyway, best believe I'll be ghosting regularly. Anyway, I'm rolling again using the new version of Pro-Tools that (finally) works with XP and my older stuff is tucked away on a drive XP cannot read. I believe it will be easy to rescue once I get around to it. Thanks for the input Ken, but the 98 boot disk was a partition of the XP harddrive and got written over when I ghosted the drive.

Thanks guys,

John Nightwolf