Your Ad Could Be Here

Confidence...

How do I build the confidence to sing in front of others? I'm really bashful about it, and I think it's because no one's ever heard me sing, but I always thought if I could make a CD and let others hear my songs, then maybe I'd be more comfortable with singing, but then I often wonder if being a performer is even suited for me. Any ideas?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I find that its good to be nervous about performing in front of people. You need to remember that the majority of people who are watching would never have the guts to do it.Start off in a friendly place like a party or singing along with someone else, when you are ready to move on try a local jam night, most musicians at jam nights are really interested in new people and will go out of their way to help you out.

Hope this helps.

Like Tom says do it again and again :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi TOTG,

I absolutely agree with Tom & others here.

For me it felt like an ordeal. 1st as a solo artist in a folk club, and later as part of a band at an open air event. I was commited to do it but was so nervous that I just wanted to get it over with. It doesnt even matter if you mess it up. Just get through it. Its worth it.

Obviously it gets easier. a lot easier.

• Like 1

• Noob

Hey guys. 

Totally agree with all of you. Singing in front of an audience is something that I love doing. Eventhough, I've been doing it for a number of years I find myself nervous everytime I have to go up. Somehow, I feel that a certain amount of nerves is good. If I am not nervous before I go up, its kind of weird. The key is not to allow the nerves to overwhelm you. The other thing is also not to compare yourself to any other singer. Every single voice is unique and special. If we all sounded the same we would eventually get bored. 

So to those lacking confidence, BELIEVE in yourself, before anyone else can... Just do it, if it flops, just try again... :detective:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

All of the above.  When I started playing at Open Mics, it just plain sucked. I was in an awful place on stage but I wanted it and that was all there was to it.

The more you need to overcome, the greater the reward awaits you.  Now, I am positively thrilled that I stuck it out and that new energy and confidence has not only changed my outlook on life but when I'm on stage, I share it and make it look easy for anyone who wants to take a shot at it themselves.

• 5 months later...

I posted a question like this last year, and you can refer back to it if you need to, but it comes with time and i was (and still somewhat am) the same way as you. I found it a lot easier to sing in front of people i know really well because they would give me honest feedback, as well as singing whenever whenever just to get a feel of my voice.

Thanks everyone for your response. I posted this awhile ago,and my first live performance was November 27th of last year. So far, I've played live 6 times and I love it! I look forward to improving and new experience. I self-released a CD,and that was what really pushed me to play. I have to admit, on my first performance, I drunk a little wine to help ease my nerves a bit. It definitely helped. Haven't done that since though. It feels natural to get up and play and I love it very much. Feel free to listen to my music here.

• 2 years later...