Your Ad Could Be Here

Famous Sounds

I've got this project going on.

http://www.tappermike.com/?q=node/32

I'm trying to build a database of "Famous Keyboard Sounds" which links the artist and song to the specific keyboard/synth used in the recording. That way when I try my hand at a cover I can atleast be in the ballpark of the sound or when I'm exploring a sound library I'm not "as" stuck saying to myself I know this sound what song was it in. So far I've gotten lots of encouragement for my efforts but sparse involvement.

I'm looking for "Famous Sounds' (keyboards and effects used on them) From the 60's thru the 90's I want to have a nice catalog so that anyone wanting to do a cover can use this as a resource pick a familiar song and have as close a representation of the sound as possible. So far it's been equal parts fun and frustration digging through the web trying to connect songs with the sounds only to have something proven false along the way. I've spent considerable time fact checking and comparing softsynths to actual recordings (which is entertaining to me but not always productive)

Anyway. If you have something to contribute please do. Not every keyboard/synth sound will be listed nor will every song. I don't expect the project to ever be "fully" completed. Simply more complete then anything else on the web will do just find.

• Like 1

Nice one Mike. We almost set up a sample library a while ago. Who knows we might still at some point. A nice idea to do famous sounds. I assume these are samples based on samples of the actual instrument sounds rather than samples of the sound from a previous recordings, for example direct samples of the instrument itself not a lift from a recording where the instrument was used? Worth perhaps stipulating that contributions are instrument samples where submission of a sample grants you permission to distribute etc royalty free. Covers your ass if nothing else. :)

Doing something like that would be well beyond my scope right now, I've got a few sample based libraries Eve by Wusik http://www.wusik.com/ww/products/wusikeve seems to be my go to for sample based sounds. It's all multi sampled so more realistic then your average freebie.

OPX isn't sample based and they've already done a great job of creating presets of famous sounds.

I just wanted a list of famous sounds with famous songs associated with the sound. Imagine someone hands you a brand new Rickenbacker guitar. What do you play on it? Well anything you want but you'll prolly lean to songs made famous on it. John Lennon played a rick so you play some Beatles songs. Roger McGuinn played one so maybe you'll play birds songs or Tom Petty or Susanna Hoffs/ The Bangles

As a guitarist I know all my favorite guitar songs and the instrument used. Now that I'm stepping into more keyboard sounds I stumble on to sounds and say to myself "Where have I heard this before?" Then I blindly try to associate the sound with a song.

I would never cut it as a professional keyboard player just trying to get a setlist together. But if I had a cheat sheet where I could find a song and then pull up a preset that matched the song I'd have a fighting chance.

So that's what the project is about. Helping to isolate the sound so that others and myself can pull up a patch in there favorite plug in and have something to play.. I'm sure all the big brands have decent libraries for recreating these sounds. However sometimes the performer just needs a little more info.

• 5 weeks later...

OP--this is a great idea and you have some great info on there. As a keyboard player I've always wanted more info on patches and sounds used on my favorite recordings and this info is hard to find. I have started an isolated keyboard track section on my multitrack masters site for exactly this reason. I'm still looking for more tracks to include. Maybe we can trade some info...

Everything listed on my site you are welcome to.

It kind of fizzled for me as I really wasn't getting the help I needed to complete things. I've gone into the same concept for famous guitar rigs. And I've had zero outside help though lots of "hey that's a cool idea" stuff. So far I've got a lot of data on my computer that I just haven't uploaded to my site. I want a lot more and it to be better organized before I get into the next publishing phase.

Everything listed on my site you are welcome to.

It kind of fizzled for me as I really wasn't getting the help I needed to complete things. I've gone into the same concept for famous guitar rigs. And I've had zero outside help though lots of "hey that's a cool idea" stuff. So far I've got a lot of data on my computer that I just haven't uploaded to my site. I want a lot more and it to be better organized before I get into the next publishing phase.

Thanks much--appreciate that and I will look into what you have there. I'll probably PM you about that through your site.

The guitar idea is another good one that I think is fascinating. In my work as an engineer I was always amazed at how different guitar amp/combos sound, forgetting even about all pedals and other signal processing. Even little things like Brian May of Queen playing with an English penny that changes his tone--great stuff.