Your Ad Could Be Here

intermediate PC recording

• Noob

So I have recorded things with Cakewalk Guitar Tracks before, but I've only used a cheap PC microphone. I'm using an electric/acoustic Ovation. A friend of mine is going to lend me his Shure SM57 microphone. Is there a way to hook that up to my PC, or do I need to go through an amp? I figured that there would be some kind of adapter that would make it possible to plug it in to a USB port. Any ideas?

So I have recorded things with Cakewalk Guitar Tracks before, but I've only used a cheap PC microphone.  I'm using an electric/acoustic Ovation.  A friend of mine is going to lend me his Shure SM57 microphone.  Is there a way to hook that up to my PC, or do I need to go through an amp?  I figured that there would be some kind of adapter that would make it possible to plug it in to a USB port.  Any ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'll likely need a preamp. Check out this post as it's mostly written by people who've got much more idea what they're talking about than me:

http://www.sainmusic.com/saintalk/viewtopi...=preamp&start=0

I may just be able to get an adapter to fit in my "Line In" jack on the back of my computer.  I can plug my guitar in that way.  Maybe that will work?

Hi

Unfortunately mic an line levels are very different. Basically the voltage output by a microphone is much much lower than line level. The mic socket possibly, but I doubt it.

The SM57 is not a powered mic, i.e. no battery and no power supply. It can work with or without phantom power, that's a 48v power supply often provided by mixing desks and mic pre-amps, but it would still draw too much power for a standard soundcard mic in.

The adapter you need is either a mixer, or a mic channel strip. The line out of the mixer should be fine for your soundcard line in.

Alternatively, if your sound card can be fitted with a breakout box, as many high end cards can be, you could use one of these.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

John

So my next question is once I get it, what is the best way to connect it to my PC?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK. You need to make sure that you have the correct cable for the mic, which is an

XLR TO XLR MIC CABLE.

The mic must be plugged into the XLR socket on the mixer to use the phantom power. Using a jack plug won't work.

If you are ordering from int-audio, you can get one from the bottom of THIS PAGE.

You connect the mixer to the pc with a cable that looks like THIS. The small stereo plug goes into the LINE IN socket of your soundcard. The 2 mono jacks plug into the left and right outputs of the mixer.

Apart from a standard guitar lead, thats all you'll need to get you up and running!

OK. You need to make sure that you have the correct cable for the mic, which is an

XLR TO XLR MIC CABLE.

The mic must be plugged into the XLR socket on the mixer to use the phantom power. Using a jack plug won't work.

If you are ordering from int-audio, you can get one from the bottom of THIS PAGE.

You connect the mixer to the pc with a cable that looks like THIS. The small stereo plug goes into the LINE IN socket of your soundcard. The 2 mono jacks plug into the left and right outputs of the mixer.

Apart from a standard guitar lead, thats all you'll need to get you up and running!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm ... I think SM 57 is dynamic, and will not need phantom feed. But an XLR is better anyway. The suggested mixer is a smaller version of my mixer, and I can reccomend it.

Can you explain exactly what phantom feed is?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's just a power boost. If your mic is dynamic, it shouldn't need phantom power. If your mic isn't dynamic, then you will definately need it. Either way, the mixer is a good idea for recording into your computer, and XLR connectors are far superior to jacks. I have the UB802 myself and the quality of these mixers is very good.

• Noob

XLR TO XLR MIC CABLE.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what is name for that cable that connects the right and left audio from the mixer to the PC line in? I just wouldn't know what to ask for if I went in to a store to look for it.

Hey

The SM57 can work with or without phantom power.

It depends on the output connectors from your mixer, and the input to your soundcard. Assuming a standard set of connectors, your mixer outputs are 'phono' connectors, and your soundcard intputs will either be two phono left and right connectors or a stereo mini-jack (more common).

In the first case you just need a phono cable. In the second case you need a phono cable and a phono to stereo mini-jack converter.

Cheers

John

So what is name for that cable that connects the right and left audio from the mixer to the PC line in?  I just wouldn't know what to ask for if I went in to a store to look for it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Print out the picture and take it to an audio store where a salesman can help. The cable pictured above was bought from a guitar shop, but you can get adaptors to suit from any audio or Hi-Fi store.

Is there a radio shack near you?

So what is name for that cable that connects the right and left audio from the mixer to the PC line in?  I just wouldn't know what to ask for if I went in to a store to look for it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would say: "A double phono to stereo mini jack"

Or if the outputs are jacks: "Double jack to one stereo mini jack"

Edited by FinnArild

Wish I'd seen this earlier as I think I might be able to save you some money!

I use Cakewalk Guitar Tracks 2. I plug my guitar straight into the mic socket on my laptop, using a jackplug adaptor which came with the software but which is easily acquired. I do the same with my unpowered Sennheiser mic. It works.

The mic input level is slightly below the guitar input level but that can be adjusted using the volume sliders very easily.

Wish I'd seen this earlier as I think I might be able to save you some money!

I use Cakewalk Guitar Tracks 2. I plug my guitar straight into the mic socket on my laptop, using a jackplug adaptor which came with the software but which is easily acquired. I do the same with my unpowered Sennheiser mic. It works.

The mic input level is slightly below the guitar input level but that can be adjusted using the volume sliders very easily.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This could be the cause of your poor quality! The mic input is next to useless for musical recording. I would recomend you to the above mentioned mixer! 29 quid would be a good investment and a huge improvement in quality!

Well, I don't know what I don't know obviously, but I think I might have solved the clipping problem (if that's what you are referring to) just by paying more attention to input levels. Also, I doubt I'm going to get great quality recording onto a laptop. All I'm saying here is that what I describe CAN be done, even if it's not studio quality.

But with better gear overall I'm sure your advice is spot on :)