Your Ad Could Be Here

Vocal Teacher Requirements?

carlrich

Hello All,

I'm on the lookout for a vocal teacher within my area and one that can help a complete beginner (like me!) develop their voice. What sort of questions should I be asking a prospective teacher?, in other words, what makes a good vocal teacher?.

Cheers,

Carl

I know a good vocal teacher that does a lot of teaching through skype and even over the phone. He is phenominal. One of the most important things id say, is that when you talk to the teacher, If they have a very raspy quality about their voice, I would say that probably arent singing properly if they sound like they are straining even just to talk. I would find a teacher that does contemporary music, and not classical, and who teaches you to sing as effortlessly as speaking. I am talking purely out of experience. There are so many people out there who claim to be voice teachers, and have no really good credentials. Or they teach children...or they claim to teach people and its not true. They all claim to be the best but they arent. If you want a good voice teacher, and you are serious about it, I would go to Seth Riggs Website, and he has a company that teaches Speech Level singing. Most of the teachers under him teach celebrities. They are the ones who are re-teaching Adele and other Celebs how to sing after intensive vocal surgeries. They are expensive...but they are good and worth it.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Carl,

First, ask them what method they teach. If they say classical, not good. If they say SLS, you're good to go.

If they teach classical, ask them if vibrato can be taught. If they say yes, you're fine. If they say no, get outta there!

I'm trained under SLS, and still being trained. I know a thing or two about vocal instruction.

Regards,

Kendriick

• 3 weeks later...