Your Ad Could Be Here

…how To Build A Music Career As A Songwriter?

Hello.

I have a question about making it in music with songwriting…I figure this would be a great place to ask since there are so many songwriters here. Basically, I’ve been struggling to make any traction with a music career for many years and I’m trying to find a way to make a living with the music I make… I’ve read several “music industry†books and the info is good, but I’m not sure what to do with it really…then I’ve asked a friend who works as both a dj and producer, and although his insight is nice, I still don’t know how to get from the studio in the bedroom to writing songs for a label and getting paid. I’ve got good songwriting skills I think and can play at a good level on guitar…even sold some tracks from an mp3 album I made online. What am I missing?

You need to expand your thinking a bit more…although the music business is about music (of course), it is a business after all and there are many more factors to consider other than just how good your musical skills are. Think of yourself like a businessman in addition to a musician.

You need to expand your thinking a bit more…although the music business is about music (of course), it is a business after all and there are many more factors to consider other than just how good your musical skills are. Think of yourself like a businessman in addition to a musician.

Hmmm what do you mean exactly? As in what factors should I consider?

Things to consider are the essential elements of the music business, and understanding how the music business works, and these days that includes also having a grasp of modern technology (even if that is only enough to understand the need, and the ability to outsource).

For example:

Contracts and Negotiation

Marketing and Promotion

Song Plugging

Music Publishing

There are other areas and roles but those would seem fundamental.

So you write songs.... if you want to make a living writing for other people, and specifically working in-house at a label or publisher (those jobs are few and far between), then you have a lot of work to do.

Stating the obvious, if you want anyone else to use your songs, they need to first be aware your songs exist. That prompts several obvious questions:

Who do I need to get my songs in front of?

How do I get my songs in front of them?

What format should the songs be in?

Is there anything I can do to make it more likely they want to use my songs?

Assuming that you do get your songs in front of the right people, you need to:

know what is a typical deal

be familiar with all main components of a deal

gather intelligence on current deals

know how to negotiate

there are more elements and questions besides these. Fundamentally, you need to learn how to turn your high level questions into more precise questions simply by breaking things up according to common sense. Generally asking who, what, where, when and why at every section / step.

Hmmm what do you mean exactly? As in what factors should I consider?

What I mean for example would be like this: Most musicians think about the same stuff….how to get signed, how to tour with a band and all that, but it is more important to understand what makes you more valuable to others in music (like record label owners, bands looking for pro musicians, and so on). It's just like looking to get hired by a company and you need to amke yourself stand out from all the other candidates for the same job. They all have the same skills pretty much, but you need to stand out in some way beyond that.…. I found a music career article that I bookmarked some weeks ago which I think you will probably get a lot out of. Check it out: http://tomhess.net/Articles/WantToBecomeAProfessionalMusician.aspx

John's reply is real good too..