Your Ad Could Be Here

Why I Love The Beatles

Why I like the Beatles

The Beatles were CLASSIC in nearly every song they wrote. The Beatles were song writers first, and to them the song itself was the important thing. They were intuitive, innovative, and inspirational. They were songwriters first and that's what made them great.

OH yes! They were also excellent performers and crowd please rs. The women loved them, screaming and fainting. Heck! some of them even "climbed in through the bathroom window" just to be near them. But that's all just the show, the performance, the hook, even the bait. You can see that in any great preformer from "Houdini" to "Kiss." But just like Houdini's magic, there was an underlying secret for the Beatles. That secret was their incredible skill for writing songs.

They are "Classics," not just because they could easily define life itself with simple phrases like "All you need is Love" or define our own lives with "All my loving," or how you should improve your life Mister "Nowhere man," but also because they knew what was great, and they reached out to improved on that greatness by never being satisfied with just making money, or being popular.

They wrote songs. They wrote songs from the heart, about love and hate and politics, about sadness and pleasure, about how the sun also rises in the morning for all those "little Darling" short people, about how we'd all love to take a long journey in our "Yellow Submarine," about evil men who hit people over the head with hammers, and even about just... "Something." But most of all they had excellent music behind it all, and it was music that we all love and we still love fifty years later.

They wrote some of the worlds most classic of songs. Oh! they weren't classics when they wrote them. They probably weren't thinking "I think I shall write a classic song today," because a song doesn't become a classic for a good forty or fifty years.

And yes, you get these Noob, "Johnny come lately" songwriters with their Acid Rock, their Disco, their heavy metal, garage, punk, funk, dunk, dub-step, RAP, but most of this is all just a passing fad, even that ridiculously popular "easy listening music" that is so popular in everybody's elevator today. Is any of this new stuff good? Yes.... some will even become classic, but not for forty or fifty years. The thing is most other song writers (with few exceptions) haven't written hundreds of very popular songs that turned out or will turn out to be classics. Will any of these new songwriters ever become classics. Well yes, some of them will. A few of them will, the ones that can do what it takes to make our hearts burn, and our intellect do a "second take," and most of all make us feel that emotion that will seal a memory in time or bring back a lost memory, whether sad or happy. How about YOU?

I love the Beatles' music..... Oh! Next time "why I love Beethoven"

Just kidding

Russ

Edited by thetau

• 2 weeks later...

They were remarkably consistent... and cool as mofos

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, over at the Beatles Songwriting Academy there is a nice list of fifty-eight songwriting hints/tips/techniques used by the Beatles in writing their songs. In addition to giving an explanation of each, he also provides a list of the songs where they are used. FWIW, I have no connection to the blog other than as a reader!

Tre, nice link. Thanks.

Its also worth remembering too, that the Beatles did plenty of idea pilfering too. I recall an interview where that much was revealed.

eg: Finishing a minor tune with a major chord.

This is mentioned on the site.

I dont know how they arrived at the idea, but William Byrd used it with 'The Earl Of Salisbury' in Elizabethan times

Edited by Rudi

• 4 weeks later...

Love the Beatles! One of my favorite bands is ELO who have a lot of songs that sound like the Beatles. A lot of people think Mr Blue Sky is a Beatles song.

Even Paul McCartney said there are a few ELO songs that he wished he wrote!

Edited by bakerusc