Your Ad Could Be Here

Sonar->Reason

Folks,

A mate of mine has a decent enough PC ( modern Celeron - not sure exactly which clock speed, 256Mb RAM, WinXP ) which runs these packages individually in parallel without problem.

However, when he hooks them together with ReWire, the CPU usage goes through the roof and the system basically becomes unusable. This is even with a minimum amount of simple VSTi's in use.

Any ideas? Does he just need a P4 with 512Mb? Or is the ReWire implementation on Sonar buggy?

BS

Folks,

A mate of mine has a decent enough PC ( modern Celeron - not sure exactly which clock speed, 256Mb RAM, WinXP ) which runs these packages individually in parallel without problem.

However, when he hooks them together with ReWire, the CPU usage goes through the roof and the system basically becomes unusable. This is even with a minimum amount of simple VSTi's in use.

Any ideas? Does he just need a P4 with 512Mb? Or is the ReWire implementation on Sonar buggy?

BS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it may be the Celeron! AND the lack of ram. Win XP takes up a huge amount of resources! Just press 'ctrl-alt-del' and see whats running... The celeron is a good chip for everyday apps but all this music stuff is pretty processor intensive, and running two apps at the same time could cause problems on an under spec'd machine!

I would suggest at least 512mb ram, even better would be 1gig ram and a better cpu.

Folks,

BS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What version of sonar are you running. As from experience i know this is fine in version 2,3,4. 256 ram is not really enough to run music. 512 minimun. I wouldn't want to run sonar on anything less that a p4 2400.

Thanks for the info guys.

Strange thing is - it's only when ReWire is switched on that this happens. As I say, both packages can run individually, in parallel, without a problem.

But I guess ReWire might be the CPU eater.

So off to see the bank manager for my mate then! ;)

BS

What version of sonar are you running. As from experience i know this is fine in version 2,3,4. 256 ram is not really enough to run music. 512 minimun. I wouldn't want to run sonar on anything less that a p4 2400.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I run sonar quite happily on a 1ghz Athlon with 512mb ram. I don't use too many plugins but I have never suffered any ill effects when I have !

I run sonar quite happily on a 1ghz Athlon with 512mb ram. I don't use too many plugins but I have never suffered any ill effects when I have !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it all depends on how many effects you want to run in real time. I am dead against comverting the wav i prefere to have an effect in the effects bin. Plus i use ozone and that alone on my p4 3000 eats away at about 25-40 % of cpu on its own.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. My friend's short of ££££s for upgrades, so has just gone back to running the packages individually ie. using Reason to generate his "main" track, then importing into Sonar. I've just been over to see him - and that works fine - his music is quite "minimal" so doesn't chew up a lot of CPU or RAM.

Definitely ReWire the resource hog...

Power.

BS

Hey BS

When did you convert from Cubase to Cakewalk?

:o

Welcome to the 21st century dude.... ;)

Cheers

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey man I'm still a Euro-friendly CuBase user - just got SL3.0 after much hassling of the Steinberg support chaps.

Cakewalk? That's the old DOS program isn't it? ;)

BS