Your Ad Could Be Here

Number Of Syllables; Squaring?

Hi songwriters,

When I write lyrics I tend to focus on having the same number of syllables in each sentence of a certain section. What do you think about this? I was reading through some lyrics and I noticed that many songwriters don't apply this. It's obvious that having a text with a square shape isn't exactly the standard. Are there 'formats' that are used regularly or might be of interest to lyricists?

Looking forward to hearing what you think!

MakesMeSmile

Hi, MakesMeSmile. There are a couple ways of doing this.

Some go by syllables...but that's more of a poetic way of doing it...more of a poetry writer to lyricist conversion. I remember your lyric "Empty Eyes" and enjoyed it...so it does work.

For me, I usually have a certain set rhythm in my head...I count out stresses...sometimes every line will have 4 stresses, or 3 stresses, or 2...depending on the lyric. The chorus and bridge obviously can be different. Sometimes I play around a bit and mix things around to try something new. Rules were always made to be broken, but within reason. Anyone just beginning should be comfortable with the rules before expanding. I remember with "Empty Eyes" you didn't have a problem with meter and I felt a rhythm to your lyric, so you might want to have fun with it and try it both ways :-)

Keep in mind, others critiquing your lyric may have a different rhythm in their head than you do. For the title Someday for instance...one word...some might sing it a SOME-day, some-DAY or SO-ome-DAY or SO-ome-DA-AY, kinda being extreme here, but to show you how one two-syllable word actually can be four syllables with different people having different stresses when they read a lyric.

Hope this helps.

Jena

Thanks for your reply Jena! It makes more sense now :) I will start practising with the number of stresses then. That's basically another term for meter right?

So if we're gonna talk about surprising people within the framework of meter... if I'd use a STRESS-unstress for three times in a row, I could go for a unstress-STRESS the fourth time round? Any ideas on what this could mean for rhyme? I mean (stupidly, I don't have an example to show my idea haha)... does landing a rhyme on a stressed syllable all the time cause the lyric to sound a bit childish?

Again, thanks for the reply!

To be honest, a great deal depends on the genre. Country genres, for example tend to be less tolerant of mismatched syllables because that affects the melody and rhythm of the song. Where melody and vocal rhythm is less key syllable counts can greatly vary. Either way, it affects the melody and vocal rhythm.

Most pop songs build it in to a small degree to add that essential variance between verses, to help keep the song interesting. It is a balancing act, between the expected rhythm, variation and memorability. A couple of syllables is often okay, too many syllables different and it becomes more of a challenge. Scansion will also dictate where the added or removed syllables will go within any given line (scansion being that natural spoken rhythm of syllables and words).

Often writers think they absolutely must match syllables (or don't care at all). Certainly closer to matched syllables tends to lend a song to portability across genres, but it's not fixed in stone. I think as long as you are close-ish I wouldn't worry unnecessarily.