Your Ad Could Be Here

What Did You Do With Music Today?

I played a couple of songs for my first graders and, while waiting for them to finish cleaning up before lunch, I played around with the chord progression I'm using in a new song. It gives me sometihng to do while I'm waiting for the children to get ready.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Noob

i went and played at m st. and wisconsin ave in washington dc.  always a good experience!  and today was st pattys so it was a little bit more epic for the crowd.  except i was playing a saxophone which isnt irish at all.   then i left and went to chill with my friend and got high and played drums.  apparently i was fitting in with my friend well when he played some bongos, he said i gained crazy rhythm at the drums.

later that night i went back to m st. and wisconsin ave, this time to a much sparser crowd.  the atmosphere was much stronger, and i could feel it impacting what i chose to play (fitting in notes with car's sounds, listening to echoes. i noticed crazy reverb paths in the vibrating column of opposing shop's walls).  i ended up focusing on looping lines, usually lines of alternating feelings. i had this one that was like a c (g f# d e) g a (g f# d e) a c (g f# d e) g a while alternating feelings on the (ac) and (ag) parts.

Stepped completely away from it for a few weeks.

Some times I get burnt out trying so hard to satisfy myself musically.

Picked up the guitar today for a couple of hours... sounded so good :)

I figured out a different way to play a solo on 'Cold Sweat' (A Soul Cover).

The song has been in the Blown Out set list FOREVER. Its easy to play a solo;

but a challenge to play a good solo. Ive tried all sorts of ways for years. Yes years.

I've been listening to 'Whos Driving', An album I bought last month. The artists ,'God Street Wine' folded some years back now. I thought I had all their albums. I was delighted to find this live cd that I'd somehow missed. One thing GSW had that dates them is a 'funk' aspect. I then dug out my favourite GSW album '$1.99 Romances' again to listen to in the car.

When I next played 'Cold Sweat' a funk-type phrasing emerged. It fits so well.

Good old GSW. Thanks fellers!

Just tried youtube. Looks like they reformed!

• 4 weeks later...

Attempted to create a couple instrumental versions of songs by Jonathan Coulton and also Paul and Storm for possibly covering to no luck, wrote a new ABABC-type song's lyrics tonight, reworked a couple tweaks on another song, recorded a couple sounds from around me and messed with filters to get some interesting samples.

Delivered myself a crash course in flamenco guitar (sorry purists!) for a bridge section of a new song. Thanks youtube. Love those crazy scales and jumpy right hand rhythms on guitar. Will be returning to this to write something totally Latinesque soon! 

began recording of "It Doesnt Matter What I Sing" . Mostly just establishing markers for Verses etc. Finding right tempo for percussion and laid down a rhythm guitar track (that will be redone. Its just a marker at the moment).

Written up bass & 2nd guitar settings.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a cool thread.

Today i decided to try and write songs about whatever video games I'm playing at the moment.

It's actually working out pretty good for some reason lol, a country/rock song came out of it so far which is a really nice change of pace for me.

So far, I've critiqued a few lyrics and songs here on Songstuff, as many as I could squeeze in at work. I'm home now, so the first thing I do is check Songstuff again!

No reply on any of my topics or posts, so it's into my music for a while...

Cheers,

Kel