Your Ad Could Be Here

Need Help. Co-Writer Changed Everything Of My Lyrics

I wrote a lyrics for an upcoming movie. I used the plot to, obviously, create the lyrics. I asked a musician to help put a melody to it and he asked if he could tighten it up a bit... none of my lyrics are in the song anymore. It's my ideas but nothing of the original lyrics are in existence anymore. can i really call this my song?!!! Songstuffers help! Advise needed badly. thank you

All the best Lisa

Hi HoboSage, I have an email that we'd collaborate and he would supply the music. but it has been phone converstations for the "tightening up of the lyrics" I get the impression he didn't want to provide music to my lyrics so I am going to open my mind and see what melody he has come up with for his lyrics based on my idea. Thank you very much for your imput. It was nice of you.

:-)

HoboSage,

the weird part is, he is treating the new lyrics as if they are still part mine... This weekend I'm invited to his house/recording studio to hear the melody and finalize the lyrics with him. This is all new to me so I want to try and do the right thing and the best thing. Either way, i'm excited. This is a project I started last August. Thanks again for your input. (you didn't make me giggle once!) (wrinkled birthday suit LOL) :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rudi,

I am officially a co-writing partner. I have been included in making changes to the new lyrics and helping with the melody. We have verbally agreed on a three way co-write (he brought in a more experienced lyricist) and if the music director wants a full demo he will produce ($$) a Nashville demo. So I feel pretty confident it's been resolved. Do you have any worldly advice for me?

It's really nice of you to ask.

Thanks

Iguzda,

'fraid not. Ive not been in this position before, though I have been plagurised.

It sounds as if you are being treated fairly and your contribution is being respected.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

That sucks that you were plagurised. I hope you won the battle that it was your work!

The movie is completing its principal photography and hopefully the music is next. We're going to do a home studio draft in the coming weeks. What a rush it would be to be on the soundtrack! Thanks for the luck and I will def post any news.

All the best,

Lisa