Your Ad Could Be Here

Garageband For Ipad

• 3 weeks later...

I have GarageBand on my iPad and, even more amazingly, on my iPhone. I run LogicPro ---which will import GarageBand files--- on my main computers, but GarageBand on an iPhone (or an iPad) is pretty incredible, IMO. And the price is CRAZY small!!!

I am using garageband to work on songs. I play and test different instruments for a song and sing to it. Maybe soon i will try to record that directly with my DAW. I am curious if the samples of garagebands' instruments are doing good or not. Btw. did anyone found how the velocity sensor from the piano will do what i intend to do?... hehe. crap.

I havnt tested how to record and mix with it alone yet. Guess i would need an extra audio interface for it or?

Andre

I use Garageband to record all of my songs. I only use the drum loops, the rest are my instruments and vocals. I'd mainly been using the presets and only recently have delved into the "real" settings. I'm using an iMac though, not an iPad but the software is the same from what I know. I'll say this, my recording sound pretty horrid but I don't blame the software as much as the user.

Edited by just1l

• 3 weeks later...

I am curious if the samples of garagebands' instruments are doing good or not.

GarageBand uses the same sounds/loops as LogicPro. They are arguably the best set of sounds included with any DAW.

Edited by Skylark

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

GarageBand uses the same sounds/loops as LogicPro. They are arguably the best set of sounds included with any DAW.

I'm not sure if this is true. I haven't found anything like the amount of onboard synth settings, for example, in GBand as there are in Logic Pro 9.

But there definitely are heaps of settings, and two things that ONLY the iPad and iPhone version of GBand has is the touch-sensitive options in the Smart Drums, Keys, Bass, Guitars and Strings and the loops that go with them. You can make the strings really sound like they are vibrating across notes, and the loops are a bit naff but great for getting a vibe happening.

Only negatives are the lame EQ control and lack of automation on the i-things. Interface is also not quite sensitive enough in arrangement view.

BUT I really recommend you purchase this - don't expect to eat, sleep or work for a week! Not probably appropriate for pro recordings (although you can import to Logic as others said) but excellent for experimentation and putting down ideas super-fast.

Edited by chased

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is true. I haven't found anything like the amount of onboard synth settings, for example, in GBand as there are in Logic Pro 9.

[snip]

I really recommend you purchase this - don't expect to eat, sleep or work for a week! Not probably appropriate for pro recordings (although you can import to Logic as others said) but excellent for experimentation and putting down ideas super-fast.

Good input, chased... Perhaps I wasn't clear/specific enough. #1) I was basically talking about the Apple Jam Packs, that the format used (AU) is identical in LogicPro and GarageBand, and... #2) Of course GB is not the equal of the flagship LP ---that's why LP is their flagship product--- but...

The original poster said that they wanted  "something simple to record and edit some songsand GarageBand is far beyond adequate for most of that.

It's the song, it's the song, it's the song!