Your Ad Could Be Here

Veni Vidi Vici

carpedm

Hi, I'm Daniel.  Contrary to my topic title (I just wanted to stand out), I don't want to come here and try to conquer the world.  I am, though, worried that I may come off that way after reviewing some songs.  I will always be respectful but I won't hold back.  I learn a lot from reviewing others' lyrics.  In fact, I think I learn more from it than they do, whether I think a song needs improvement or if I think it's well-written.  "It's not the notes you play, it's the notes you don't play," that old adage applies here, depending on your own interpretation of it.

But I'm already coming off like a know-it all.  Up until now, and even still to this day, I have cloistered my original works (guitar and lyrics/vocals), so I don't really have a firm base to stand on to back up my future critiques of songs.  For that, I apologize.  I do intend to put my stuff out there ASAP.

I am currently recording a demo at home so I can get a collection of songs copyrighted.  So far, I've only had one song copyrighted and it remains unreleased.  With regards to releasing my work, here's my plan:  My plan is to release it to the public, but to not tell my friends and family about it.  I first of all want to do this for artistic integrity, to see what reaction I can get from complete strangers who do not feel obligated to even give my work the time of day.  Second of all, when I do finally inform my friends and family about it, I want it to be relatively established and recognized by people outside of my bubble.  I think that will give it a greater impact on my friends and family, and actually I think that doing that will help to get out of that inevitable first plateau of creating a fan-base.  In other words, when it seems like no more people are going to follow me, then release it to family and friends and they will, first, be impressed and even more motivated to listen to and follow my music, and second of all it will give a nice little bump to the fan base at a time when things have stalled.

Anyways,  I do also want to fill out this survey the moderators have designed, so here goes.

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments?   Sing, write lyrics, play guitar               

What instruments?   Guitar        

When did you start playing?  Age 10 (currently 28)

Did you teach yourself?   Yes, play by ear.

2. Are you in a band or bands?   No

3. Do you write songs?  Yes

Do you write lyrics, music or both?  Lyrics and music

Do you have a writing partner?  No, not yet

4. Do you record your music?  Yes,

Do you use a home studio? I record using garage band, its drum loops, and a simple Blue Snowball microphone.

Do you use a recording studio?  I plan to, but only after home recording for the sake of copyrighting and to be able to show a demo to the producer/engineer

Do you have music available on the web? No, not yet

5. What other roles do you perform in the music business?  I am a fan.

Management? Label owner? Publishing? Promotion? Other?  N/A

6. Are you a tech head?  Not at all.

7. What country do you live in?  U.S.A.

8. What are your ambitions?  I want to complete an album or two for now and release them online.  My ambition is to reach 1,000 followers, whether it be on facebook, soundcloud, bandcamp, whatever.

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit?  I appreciate the visual arts, but have little skill in that arena myself.

What are your pastimes?  I am really busy with working full time and going to college at night for my BA, but I do like to pass the little free time I have by skateboarding and exploring DC, where I live.

10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff?  I would like to learn how and where to market my music.  It's truly not about making money, as I am self-sufficient, but I'd like to sell my music for the going rate on iTunes just to see how I can stand up to that measure.

I think that covers the main musical things!  

• Like 1