Your Ad Could Be Here

Anyone Heard Of Songregistration.com

nycpro9

• Noob

Hey everyone

I'm new here and thought I'd create my first topic. I am a new song writer and wanted to copyright the lyrics to my songs. I came across www.songregistration.com. Anyone know if it is reputable and legit or a scam? Having a nice attractive site doesn't always mean they are legit. Those are the ones sometimes you have to watch out for. They have an A rating with the BBB. But still hesitating. I searched around at a bunch of other copyright sites. This one offered reasonable prices and packages. Hope you can help... Thanks

Anyone know if it's the same for Down Under? Thought the idea of putting © at the bottom of the work with your name was enough? Or maybe just for the Kangaroo Courts we have down here...

Sorry David, at work and too lazy/busy to google it  :devil2:

In Australia, and in most countries, US is always different, they're Americans after all... your copyright exists from the minute you either print (put to paper) or record (any recording media) your work - I mean the lyrics, melody and chords. However, proving that claim in court may be difficult. Personally, I'm waiting till I but a printer soon, then I'll print the lead sheet (required) and a copy to CD. The date stamps are good as proof. When recorded by an artist, or scored by an arranger, they take out a copyright on what they have done, separate to the writer's copyright. Or so I've read.

As Tom above says, you need to register in US copyright office for it to be recognised there, but you can register up to14 songs for the same price of US$35 I think. It was albumcentric once long ago I guess and it's never changed. However, check out the site, that's where I got the information, but who knows what they've changed since last month! LOL I believe you need to send a copy to the US Library of Congress, but there are organisations who will do it. I believe most publishers do it as part of their service to you. Of course the hard part is getting signed by a publisher!

Luckily for most, copyright law suits are rare, just as Men At Work and that one hit wonder guy who did Ghostbusters

Cheers

Kel

You may not need to register copyright within your own country, but if you intend to make your songs available in the US (they are the largest part of the English speaking online market) then I would still register with the US copyright service.

Just for the record, the statement "US is always different, they're Americans after all" can be considered a "Kelism" and the full definition of that can be found: http://forums.songstuff.com/blog/181/entry-1365-welcome-or-what-have-i-got-myself-in-for/

Don't miss the line that says: "As Tom above says, you need to register in US copyright office for it to be recognised there..." Key word guys: "recognised"!

In no way was I advising not to register with the US Copyright office. I will be doing so. I even have my w8-ben form ready to send off to your IRS which I need processed before I can apply for membership of ASCAP... I write Country, so naturally I'll register my work with the US copyright office because that is where MY largest market it, despite where I live.

Ease up! Sheesh!

Kel the Yankiphile or Ameriphile... whatever!

Edited by Kel

Sage,

I agree, that is the difficulty of conversing with the written word, rather that the spoken. 

Lets all hold hands and sing Kumbaya together and move on to more pressing matters, like making music!

Rock it hard, rock it soft, rock it gentle, rock it tough, just rock it!

Oh dear, I think I just started a new song... 

Kel

Y'know, as I'm not doing this to make a million, I think I'll take the same route as I have with private health insurance and staying away from bad women...just ignore the advice and hope for the best! But thanks for the info, guys.

Y'know, as I'm not doing this to make a million, I think I'll take the same route as I have with private health insurance and staying away from bad women...just ignore the advice and hope for the best! But thanks for the info, guys.

This is advice is the best I've heard all day.

Kel

Guest The Quiet Man

I think the guys have made it clear that lyrics on there own can't be copyrighted,by any of these 

Country's Copyright Offices .

I assume you have music for your lyrics.?  

It dosen't stop you claiming copyright on any song forum like this  though

are you worried about theft of your  lyrics?.

There is an organisation in Ireland that  will copyright your songs free as long as you subscribe to 

the monthly magazine,   they are based in Limmerick,   I'm not a member myself, but you may find it

interesting. but again they need both lyrics and  music.