Your Ad Could Be Here

Question About Scales And Chords

My musical theory background is not super strong, but I'm trying to learn more and understand more.

I'm playing around with some chords here and I think I have a progression that I like. I set out to try and write in the key of A.

The four chords I'm using for the verse part of this song are A, C, D7, & E7. When I consider the A major scale, it seems to me that the C should be sharped to make a 1-3-4-5 progression. Yet it sounds SO MUCH better to me without the C sharped. 

Does this mean I'm not actually in the key of A major anymore? As I type this I think I may have just answered my own question.. I'm in A minor now right? in A minor the C fits. 

Am I getting a grasp on this? Any input here would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by derekeverett

My musical theory background is not super strong, but I'm trying to learn more and understand more.

I'm playing around with some chords here and I think I have a progression that I like. I set out to try and write in the key of A.

The four chords I'm using for the verse part of this song are A, C, D7, & E7. When I consider the A major scale, it seems to me that the C should be sharped to make a 1-3-4-5 progression. Yet it sounds SO MUCH better to me without the C shaped. 

Does this mean I'm not actually in the key of A major anymore? As I type this I think I may have just answered my own question.. I'm in A minor now right? in A minor the C fits. 

Am I getting a grasp on this? Any input here would be appreciated. Thanks.

There is this site that will help you a lot. But before I give you the link I would say to you trust your ears.

But go to this site print out a map and play with it. http://mugglinworks.com/chordmapsArchive/chartmaps.htm

Cheers

Gary

Thank you to both of you.

• 2 weeks later...

you sure you aren't in key of "D" You have a  major flat 7th and a 2nd 7th along with a 5th and root 7th. All common chords in a key of "D" If the ending note on the E7th chord is a "D" then I'm willing to bet your in key of "D". If you were in key of Am the A  D and E chords should be Minor Not Major. 

Edited by macmanmatty

you sure you aren't in key of "D" You have a  major flat 7th and a 2nd 7th along with a 5th and root 7th. All common chords in a key of "D" If the ending note on the E7th chord is a "D" then I'm willing to bet your in key of "D". If you were in key of Am the A  D and E chords should be Minor Not Major. 

Key of D would have a C#, which is the very chord I decided I didn't like...

Sorry But I don't think you can be in key of Am a without at least one Am chord (or any minor chord for that matter you have none) Also the notes G# F# C# (you have one on the A chord unless you mistyped and your A is minor not major) are not allowable (but they can be used in certain ways) in the key of Am which is ( A B C D E F G) and the relative minor to the Key of C.

Again I say key of D all the notes fit and a flat 7th is a very common note in lot of songs in any key. Also keys of D and A are hard to disgunish from because they key signatures are only off by one shrap.

Edited by macmanmatty

I don't think that's right, I don't believe you need an Am chord to be in the key of Am at all. 

If you were really in A minor then your first chord would not be A major!   But your first chord is A major.

But ... as far as chord sequences go you don't have to stick just to chords from the key you think you're in.   That's a pathway to predictability.   Go with whatever sounds good to your ears!   Also the way chords fit together has a lot to do with the melody you're singing or playing over them and the "voice leading" between chords.   Sometimes a supposedly "wrong" tone, in this case the "C" (instead) of the "C#", can be much more interesting.    

Here's one reason why:  

Your first chord is A ...  composed of   A,  C# and E 

Your second chord is C ... composed of   C  E  and G#

The chords have one tone in common:   E.    That makes the chord change already smoother than you think.   C is the "bIII" chord in A major.  You are thinking that you want to use the III chord, which would be C#m.

But  C#m   is composed   of   C#  E  and G#.    Now that chord contains two tones in common with the A chord.   Now, there's nothing wrong with that, but when you shift between chords that are almost the same the changes aren't always as interesting.  Try  playing  the chords as:

A   C#m  D7  E7 

does that work as well as

A  C  D7  E7

for you?   Also your D7 chord has a "C" in it as well ...  so, no reason why you can't have another chord with "C" in it.    You can have a lot of fun playing around with the 3rd tone in a scale ... is it minor, is it major?    Keep the listener on their toes, it's a classic songwriting trick.

Edited by thepopeofpop

But  C#m   is composed   of   C#  E  and G.    Now that chord contains two tones in common with the A chord.   Now, there's nothing wrong with that, but when you shift between chords that are almost the same the changes aren't always as interesting.  Try  playing  the chords as:

Wrong there buddy a C#m is composed of a C#, E,  G#

C#, E, G make a C#dim

Edited by macmanmatty

Wrong there buddy a C#m is composed of a C#, E,  G#

C#, E, G make a C#dim

Yeah, G#.   I Mistyped that.   But, It doesn't alter the point that a C#m chord and an A chord share two tones:  C#  and E.